GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science

Go down 
+8
convert2diesel
jayoldschool
cadillac kevin
Fred Kiehl
Sprocket
81X11
rh96ss
mtrhead79
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Empty
PostSubject: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 10:02 pm

It's finally happening. Really.

This is the winter of progress! Surprised

Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science 44587_10200347903046817_631116432_n
Top: Sprocket's pre-fabbed cluster. Bottom, mine, awaiting surgery.

Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science 181848_10200347901846787_495123090_n
Surgery in progress... gulp.

Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science 525041_10200348198294198_206772904_n
Soldering goin' down! Awww snap.

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 pm

got to have the wagonfest shirt on Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 10:20 pm

It's how you know we're legit. lol
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 11:38 pm

you mean to tell me you drove past my house, AGAIN and didn't pick up those dual exhaust pipes. Guess I will throw them to the curb and let the guy that collects scrap metal get some money. Good luck on the cluster project. Let alone losing your CTS-V opportunity, you big dummy......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 am

Damn it, I knew I forgot something.

I lost your number too, actually.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 6:19 am

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 7:45 am

Surgery was semi-successful, we ran out of time, prior to getting everything working, Need to contact Sinij Kot with a couple questions. Yes, the cluster I got from him was pretty much plug and play for me, it was difficult to copy as the two wires in the photos had 4 or 5 black conductors each, and several jumpers, so it was impossible to do a pin to pin crossover.

I think we got pretty close, but more solder work is necessary. I'll let Roo expand on that one. silent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 am

Cliffs version: I'm an English major. I can't math.

I mislabeled the connector so half of them are soldered backwards.

Oops.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 8:39 am

Stingroo wrote:
Cliffs version: I'm an English major. I can't math.

I mislabeled the connector so half of them are soldered backwards.

Oops.

Strange use of words...soldered backwards??? Maybe soldered in the incorrect order, but "backwards". That does not even compute...and for an English major none the less. Furthermore the connectors are labled in letters not numbers, so your math is not an issue. At this point I am questioning your college grades/profs.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 8:46 am

well as Roo found out most electrical pinouts or chip legs are numbered around the block vs top to bottom, namely 18-34 run from the bottom up...more solder practice for Ray
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 am

Took you long enough ray....how many months ago did I send you the cluster?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 am

Do not let the magic smoke out. Old guitar amp guys will know what this means.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 11:28 am

jayoldschool wrote:
Do not let the magic smoke out. Old guitar amp guys will know what this means.

And owners of English cars with Lucas electrics.

http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfun_writings_smoke.htm

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 am

Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Smoke1

hey I resemble that remark!
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 11:49 am

Sprocket wrote:
Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Smoke1

hey I resemble that remark!

I believe the word you were looking for was "resent" or "take umbrage to".

"resemble":

Have qualities or features, esp. those of appearance, in common with (someone or something); look or seem like.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bill (not an english major)
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 12:01 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
got to have the wagonfest shirt on Very Happy

Well the plan was to hit the local Tues night cruise by my casa with 3 wagons, but the cluster mod took longer than anticipated.
Flash Gumby stopped by and took my daughter and his boys to the cruise with a follow up @ Steak-n-shake.

I arrived SnS to see them coming out all finished Sad (I wanted a milk shake)
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:

Strange use of words...soldered backwards??? Maybe soldered in the incorrect order, but "backwards". That does not even compute...and for an English major none the less. Furthermore the connectors are labled in letters not numbers, so your math is not an issue. At this point I am questioning your college grades/profs.

I figured out exactly what he meant. No need to bring him down.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

When you know someone, you are allowed to give them the dirt once in a while. Get a sense of humor, and laugh along with us.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

When you know someone, you are allowed to give them the dirt once in a while. Get a sense of humor, and laugh along with us.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Sometimes I question Fred's need of a keyboard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 pm

You two are knee-deep in something and I dont think it has anything to do with any science I
know about! cheers
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 8:11 pm

BTW, Ray, congrats in advance. I know how long you have wanted this mod!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Pretty much since the day I bought the car. lol
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 6:55 pm

He probably meant to say they were soldered Bass Ackwards. EVERYONE knows that is code for side by each, screwed up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 9:31 pm

I got adventurous and fixed all the soldering points that were wrong with the help of my sister's steady hands.

IT'S ALIVE! EVERYTHING WORKS! All I have to do tomorrow is change my oil sending unit and splice into the coil wire for the tach. Then my most anticipated mod since I bought the car will be DONE!

Thank you, Sprocket for inspiration and the help (and JT as well for his neater-than-mine handwriting).
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Stingroo wrote:
IT'S ALIVE! EVERYTHING WORKS!

Good job Sting!

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 11:56 pm

I think I was going to die of excitement when I called Sprocket. lol
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 7:24 am

lol, giddy as a school girl he was! Good job, I knew you could do it. All it took was finding that soldering iron ha ha ha.. So where are the photos?????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Well... switched to the oil pressure sending unit. Ran into some issues. My headers wouldn't allow the longer sending unit to clear. After much frustration, cursing, tool throwing, and pondering, I went to Home Depot and got some fittings to move the sending unit. All is well.

Tomorrow, I run the tach wire and button 'er all up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Okay, I think I spliced the tach wire into the wrong spot. Will investigate further tomorrow.

Also, oil pressure gauge still doesn't work. I don't like this.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 6:40 pm

are you done yet? and where are the pictures?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Not done yet. Oil pressure gauge isn't working, tach isn't working, fuel gauge might not be working either (not sure yet).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 9:16 pm

I give up on this for now, I think. It's driving me nuts.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Sting

Sometimes if you step back and give it a rest, when you go back you'll be able to see the problem. Or maybe Sprocket can put a fresh set of eyes on it, make sure he wears his glasses.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Yeah. I'm working on other projects for the next couple of days. No fuel gauge is kind of frustrating though. lol
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Odo working yet?

I thought you had it all working Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Nope. Odometer not working either. This cluster might be FUBAR too. I don't know. I have an OCC one to play with as well.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 pm

There were 2 9c1 clusters at abc upull in wpb a couple weeks ago
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 3:36 pm

If this cluster is FUBAR, I don't really have the cash to fiddle with this mod anymore. Funds low. Might have to hold off until spring break.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm

well test it with the other cluster you said you had. If not, I have another one you can test with.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 8:00 am

An update... I don't think it's the cluster. I sent the harness to LM91 so he could look it over.

Should be sorted soon enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science   Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sprocket and I are knee-deep in electrical science
Page 1 of 1