GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New speakers on the cheap?

Go down 
+4
jasonlachapelle
sherlock9c1
toomanytoyz
My Betty
8 posters
AuthorMessage
My Betty

My Betty

New speakers on the cheap? Empty
PostSubject: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 4:26 pm

I just bought a JVC X250BT head unit and I love it! Not only does it have BT built in but it has BT audio so I don't even have to plug my iphone in to listen to music.
Anyway, I'm shopping for speakers now but I don't want to spend a fortune. I was looking on crutchfield.com and decided I'm going to go with 6.5" for the front and 6x9 for the back.
They throw in an install kit so I'm guessing they'll fit without much altering. The problem is, there's about a million different choices of brands. Does anyone know what a good upgrade form stock is? I also have a 400watt 4 channel amp on order.

I know there's a lot of other threads on this but they're buried and the search engine doesn't seem very helpful.
Thanks, Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Pro tip: don't buy from crutchfield if you want to save money.

Speakers are easy. You can do it with a soldering iron/butt connectors/black tape or whatever you choose (obviously from best to worst there).
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks, soldering iron is my preferred method. It used to be electrical tape, lol.

I think I'll steer away from Crutchfield. They are expensive. The install kit I thought was a mounting kit to fit the 6.5s in the front doors but maybe it's just a plug and play harness? If so , I can do without it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Front factory speakers are 4x6s. You can make an adapter plate out of some MDF/plywood/whatever and mount 6.5s if you want. I recommend this - 6.5s are just worlds better than 4x6s for SQ.

Check out sonicelectronix.com or amazon.com for speaker deals. That's where 90% of my gear comes from. All of my connectors and bits and terminals and all that? eBay.

I'm a student. I save where I can, and often. :p
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Ok thanks. I'll check it out.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Go to walmart. Get the Dual band 6.5's and use your dewalt to just screw them into the opening on your door. You will get 3 points of contact. Good enough. Also get the Dual 6x9's. Install in the rear. You'll be rockin pretty good then!

Yeah, yeah... I know they are "cheap" speakers, and most "audiophiles" will turn their noses up at them, but for the average guy, they sound pretty darn good. Low distortion with the poly cones, great suspension with the rubber surrounds, and the tweeters aren't the typical "bright" cheapo ones. The are so smooth up high, that they must be a soft dome tweeter. They go pretty low without distorting, too, so you'll have some decent bass.

Best part, you can get both pairs of speakers for less than 60 bucks for all four! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Stay away from soldering on automotive applications or near anything that vibrates. Use crimp connectors. Solder stiffens the end of the wire and you'll be fixing it in a few years. Been there done that three times.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Front factory speakers are 4x6s.

on a Caprice. The Roadmaster CS2 speakers are 6.5".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Ah.

TIL.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 9:20 am

I got Sony 4x6 4-way speakers for my doors for $25 on sale at Wal-Mart. My Alpine stereo came off of Craigslist for CHEAP, and my rear 6x9's came from a friend that bought them and never used them....$40. Also got a 6-disc Alpine CD changer for $20...again, Criagslist.

To be fair I did replace my first stereo with a near-twin. Still all-in was well under $200 and it sounds great.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7246-disco-radio-15-din-alpine

Fun stuff!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 10:31 am

I got some Sony XS-GTX1641 6.5" for the front and XS-GTX6931 6x9" for the rear. Just ordered them on Wednesday from amazon. They should be here sometime before March 18. I thought the price was pretty descent considering wally world was offering some lesser quality Sony speakers comparable to these for 49.00 and 69.00 a set.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 pm

The sets I'm looking at for the front range from $20 a pair to $60 a pair. I haven't been to Wally world yet but I'll check it out.

Should I go with two way or three way?
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 1:16 pm

I went with 3-way in the rear and 4-way in the front.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I have 3-way in the front and 5-way in the rear.

VERY clean highs.
Back to top Go down
Sofapilot

Sofapilot

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Just installed these from Amazon. $27.56

They are lower end in that they have a 35 watt max power rating. My setup is without amp so it works great along with a set of Really heavy duty MA 3 way 6x9 that I pulled from my old suburban.

Kenwood KFC-1664S 6-1/2-Inch 3-Way
New speakers on the cheap? Wagonfrnt

Mounted with three screws, one existing hole and drilled two. The speakers sit out about 1/16" resting on the inner lip of the speaker frame. Other than the screw holes doors were unmodified. Reinstalled door panels, nothing hits, no buzzing @ high volume.
New speakers on the cheap? Down
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 5:15 pm

Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 7:01 pm

I just realized the title to my thread..."on the cheap", lol. It never ends up that way. I did get a radio, amp and all the speakers for under $300. I could have spent a lot more I guess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 10:17 pm

That's pretty decent. My system is a "budget build" and I'm in it for a lot more than that. Those pioneers are decent for the money. You'll be pleased over stock, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Stay away from soldering on automotive applications or near anything that vibrates. Use crimp connectors. Solder stiffens the end of the wire and you'll be fixing it in a few years. Been there done that three times.

That's interesting - I never heard that before. I noticed that on both my limos the coach builder used crimp connectors everywhere - I thought they were being cheap. I've been going through the trouble of soldering all my repairs and new installations - I'm going to stop doing that :-)

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Rule of thumb: If it won't flex, solder it. If it flexes, crimp it.

To the speaker installers - if you can seal up the little leaks around the speaker between the door frame and the edge, you will have much improved sound for little effort. I need to do some replacement speaker installs soon myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Curious as to what you would use to seal around the speaker without contaminating the
speaker material?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New speakers on the cheap?   New speakers on the cheap? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New speakers on the cheap?
Page 1 of 1