GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Digital dash acting up.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
big john and the TANK

big john and the TANK

Digital dash acting up. Empty
PostSubject: Digital dash acting up.   Digital dash acting up. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm

So I installed new tunes in the Tank this week and everything was great until I was coming home tonight. When ever I turn on my headlights my dash goes black. And when I turn them off only the speedo comes on. Is it possible I did something when I had the dash apart for the new deck? Any help is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Digital dash acting up.   Digital dash acting up. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:31 am

John

I take it your "tunes" mean you put in a new radio?

On atleast the RMW, when you install an aftermarket radio, it affects the dimming function of the dash. I assume it is probably the same for the Chevy Wagon.

Those speedometer / gauges are notorious for having problems and blacking out. I'm guessing something has been effected. They are very sensitive to voltage, maybe it could be something as simple as a week battery.

Tom
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Digital dash acting up.   Digital dash acting up. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:10 am

Disconnect all of the dimmer wires (the signal and the voltage) from the radio and see if the problem goes away.

BTW John sorry I haven't called you yet, just haven't had a free moment!
Back to top Go down
big john and the TANK

big john and the TANK

PostSubject: Re: Digital dash acting up.   Digital dash acting up. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 10:14 am

Sooooooo, I took the dash apart to check the wiring for the new radio and remembered that the dimmer wires from the factory harness had nowhere to hook up to the radio harness. I then tested the theory that if the radio was disconnected would the same thing happen, it did. So I am now understanding that its a dash/headlight switch issue and nothing I did by installing the stereo. Anyone have a spare dash laying around?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Digital dash acting up.   Digital dash acting up. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 11:01 am

John, those dash units are always for sale. Maybe one of the NY guys has one. I think you should be able to pick one up for $40 to $50.

Tom
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Digital dash acting up.   Digital dash acting up. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 4:18 pm

big john and the TANK wrote:
Sooooooo, I took the dash apart to check the wiring for the new radio and remembered that the dimmer wires from the factory harness had nowhere to hook up to the radio harness. I then tested the theory that if the radio was disconnected would the same thing happen, it did. So I am now understanding that its a dash/headlight switch issue and nothing I did by installing the stereo. Anyone have a spare dash laying around?

John, did you reconnect the old radio and dimming wires? Doing that may be necessary to complete the circuit and make the dashboard work.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Digital dash acting up.   Digital dash acting up. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Sounds like a problem in the dimmer circuit. Have you put a voltmeter on that circuit to see what it's reading?

BTW last time I was in the U-pull junkyard (a month or two ago) there was a '94 Caprice sedan in there that had the instrument cluster still in it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digital dash acting up.   Digital dash acting up. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Digital dash acting up.
Page 1 of 1