GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

bilstein question

Go down 
+4
sherlock9c1
200OZ
jayoldschool
jon7190
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jon7190

jon7190

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm new to the forum and am a little confused looking at old posts. I've gathered that Bilsteins are the way to go, but which ones? I've seen alot of references to the 0929/1104, which are listed as the official wagon shock. However, looking at product descriptions like the one I pasted below, the standard heavy duty's sound more like what you would expect for a stock RM type ride.

Also, anybody know the best source for Bilsteins on price now?

B46-0929, B46-1104
Bilstein Sport Shocks- firmer ride quality than standard HD shocks, these are designed for lowered vehicles and sport applications. For the performance minded driver, Sport shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface.

B46-1516, B46-1517
Bilstein Heavy Duty (HD) Shocks - Recommended shock for most applications, designed to work with the springs that came with your vehicle. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: Re: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:01 pm

I have HDs on my Caprice wagon.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: Re: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:49 pm

I've got the HDs on my RMW, love 'em. Shox.com seems to be a pretty good price, that's where I got mine from. Call their customer service to order though, they are great people to work with and know what they're talking about.

http://www.shox.com/

Mike
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: Re: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:57 pm

1516/1517s are considered softer than 1104/929. I have 1104/929s on my 9C1 and my RMW with otherwise stock suspension and LOVE them. Your choice.

Shop around on price.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: Re: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 7:50 pm

I will chime in for the Bilstein HDs. Great ride and handling.
Dick
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: Re: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 8:51 pm

I went with the B46-0929 / B46-1104 shocks. I loved the results.

But there are no potholes in New Mexico. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
phantom 309

phantom 309

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: Re: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm

well to drag up some old experiences,.

my 9c1 has eibachs and the 1104 /929 combo,.
With the lowering springs and their fast progressive rate,. i found the car a real handful to drive on any sort of rough road,. bordering on damn uncomfortable,. bear in mind i like to drive my cars in a spirited fashion,. Wink (my wife likes to tell the story of the off ramp bridge, with its expansion joint, and the car making a complete lane change with the suspension fully compressed,.at pretty fair rate of speed,.almost enough to drift the kumho 285 40's,.
it was pretty exciting,.)

I swapped them out for gabriel gas shocks,. i can't remember the part numbers but they were the heaviest gashok i could get,.and the car was much more civilised,.

I put the bilsteins on the ogrrotmr,. and it they were great,.

Conclusion? (duh) stock springs with aggressive damping shocks is good,.
Lowered stiff springs with softer shocks is good,.
All depends on your driving style,.. Cool

The blue wagon has KYB's,. they work fine,.

nick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: Re: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 10:02 pm

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=292425

Used Bilsteins on the Impala forum. Note they have a lifetime warranty.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bilstein question Empty
PostSubject: Re: bilstein question   bilstein question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bilstein question
Page 1 of 1