GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

trans issue maybe???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
datto62073

trans issue maybe??? Empty
PostSubject: trans issue maybe???   trans issue maybe??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 3:31 am

86 caprice, 307, 200R4, 2.53:1 (if memory serves) gears. fluid looks and smells normal.

i was driving it tonight and it seemed like the trans was slipping in and out of 4th. also i had to keep it floored on a slight uphill just to maintain freeway speeds. also about 55 or so it was shifting in and out of 4th with very light throttle.

idea?? i cant afford to have this beasty go down right now untill i get my Marquis, Passat, or Sundance going right.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: trans issue maybe???   trans issue maybe??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 6:31 am

Are you sure it's slipping out of 4th? Or could it be slipping out of lockup which can feel like a gear change? Loosing lockup wouldn't require you to floor it just to maintain highway speeds though so you may be right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: trans issue maybe???   trans issue maybe??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Not sure on the 200-4R (yes that's the correct way to write it), but I know the 700R4s of that vintage had problems "yo-yo ing" between 3rd and 4th. There's a modified shift valve you buy and install in the valvebody to fix that (it requires 75% throttle or more to force a 4-3 downshift).

BTW if you have 3 other cars that are currently broke, then you need to reprioritize your time and get them fixed!
Back to top Go down
datto62073

PostSubject: Re: trans issue maybe???   trans issue maybe??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
Are you sure it's slipping out of 4th? Or could it be slipping out of lockup which can feel like a gear change? Loosing lockup wouldn't require you to floor it just to maintain highway speeds though so you may be right.

i think i am sure its shifting out of 4th. i am used to 5spds in my VWs so i know when they comeout of gear.

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Not sure on the 200-4R (yes that's the correct way to write it), but I know the 700R4s of that vintage had problems "yo-yo ing" between 3rd and 4th. There's a modified shift valve you buy and install in the valvebody to fix that (it requires 75% throttle or more to force a 4-3 downshift).

BTW if you have 3 other cars that are currently broke, then you need to reprioritize your time and get them fixed!

it just seems wrong to write the name like that. as far as the other cars, those are teh easiest to fix. hopefully tomorrow i can get at least one of em fixed. just needs an alt. i have an assload more that need work. mostly rewireing and major parts that are not working.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trans issue maybe???   trans issue maybe??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trans issue maybe???
Page 1 of 1