GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Adding power to passenger seat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MacMasterMike

Adding power to passenger seat Empty
PostSubject: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 9:44 pm

I have a 92 caprice wagon that has a manual passenger seat in blue color. At a local junk yard they had 3 fairly clean red interior 91 caprice sedans. The 2 of them must of had some upgrades for the interior cause they had passenger power seats, compass review mirror, Bose head unit that looked out of the ordinary. Both my wagon and the JY sedan have the same corduroy fabric. What is all involved in say taking the seat from the JY caprice removing the red skin putting my blue skin on it and wiring it in? I imagine there is no wire harness to begin with on the non-power seat so ill have to move that and wire it all in? Same goes for changing out the door panel to get the switches/wiring in it. IS this a bigger project than i think it is? Any advice would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 10:39 pm

You don't need the seat. You can just get the seat rail.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:03 pm

ditto just take the tracks and the pass door controller .i dont know what to call it but the part of the door panel with the switches is removable. the wiring i am not sure about i would guess you can remove it also from donor. that will take some time
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
MacMasterMike

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:28 pm

So the wiring to supply the power to the seat or rails in this case is already there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:35 pm

That I don't know, off hand.

My GUESS is no, it's not. My 92 Caprice didn't have the wiring in place for the upgraded lighted mirror, so I'd guess your 92 wouldn't have the wiring in place for the seats if it wasn't built with them.

Only one way to find out... pull your seat first.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:49 pm

my 94 did not have the wiring. you could take it from the donar car. i would think it would take you some time to get it out
Back to top Go down
MacMasterMike

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Ok so i can spare myself the trouble of changing seat skins but Ill be due for wiring and carpet pulling most likely. Thanks for the advice on the rails though I wouldn't of thought of that.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:55 pm

no problem. i thought about doing this to my wagon mostly because of the pass seat felt so low and always looked lower than the drivers seat.what i did was unbolt the seat from the rails and put round spacers in between the track and the seat. i think i raised it up a 1/2 inch (its been awhile)
Back to top Go down
MacMasterMike

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:10 pm

I went back to the jy for this and some other things and dug into it a little bit. I was wondering if there was a manual way to move the seat? That held me up along with realizing this project is a little more involved than i would of liked with wires being grounded in blind spots and other things i really couldn't see going on. There was quite a bit of wiring in the passenger foot well with the computer being there and all.

Looks like you have to hook up a battery to the car or hook a power tool battery up somehow to get it to move? What would you do if a motor went bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Yeah, just hook a drill battery to the seat and move it.

That's how I got my Bonneville seats out of a JY car.

...in the pouring rain, because they were the right color. 

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 8:46 pm

You need the cross car harness. It goes to all 4 doors, and across the floor under the front seats. It is a PITA to remove. The wiring is minimal behind the passenger's side A pillar. It has one connector to the IP harness, and goes into the "tunnel" to the door. The cross car harness plugs into the IP harness on the driver's side at the A pillar with 2 connectors, and may have a ground below the hood release. The tracks are the easy part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding power to passenger seat   Adding power to passenger seat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adding power to passenger seat
Page 1 of 1