GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fmlm83

Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried? Empty
PostSubject: Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried?   Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 7:42 pm

I think I lightly toasted mine.Embarassed

Last weekend I was planning on working on my currently off the grid retirement home. So to charge up my power drill, I plugged in my 300 watt power inverter into the 3 port extension which was plugged into my lighter outlet and then plugged in the battery charger into it.

The red overload light lit up and smoke started curling from the inverter.  Quickly pulled the power plug from the extension, but things are acting strange now.

My radar detector, which was also connected to the 3 port extension now clicks continually. 
The rear wiper no longer works, but when I push the button to the first click, the gate ajar light shines and the clock display on the radio freaks out with gibberish and then goes black.
If I push it to the full on, the gate ajar light shines, clock display freaks out... and the low oil level light shines.

The clock will also reset itself, without the help of the wiper switch.
Everything else seems to be working fine.  Rear window release, power windows, locks, gages, cruise .
Do you think I toasted the computer?scratch
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried?   Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 pm

First you need to find the common wires to the circuit. You may have a short. You may have also burned a ground off. When something smokes you have a high current and usually a short to ground. Using 2 power supplies for DC can cause the weaker one to draw from the more powerful one. The current heats other things besides the unit itself. If the wires get hot enough, the insulation melts, causing a short.

The clock, rear wiper, radio, gate ajar light, and radar detector are not controlled by the computer. The low oil level light is powered through the power train module in a 94-96.

I would start with the lighter, and work backwards through the electrical system.
Back to top Go down
fmlm83

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried?   Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 10:38 pm

My wife said, "Its the fuse!"  I told her, "If it was the fuse, we wouldn't have any clock, tailgate ajar etc. It's a short."  Long story short.  I braked for a stop light and someone pulls up behind me and tells me I have no brake lights, so since I was checking the in the fuse box anyway, I pull the #2 fuse and there was just a sliver of metal keeping the connection intact. I replaced the fuse, everything works, she is still gloating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried?   Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electrical system: Which is best, Lightly Toasted or Fried?
Page 1 of 1