GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New gate / new problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
randumnumber

New gate / new problems Empty
PostSubject: New gate / new problems   New gate / new problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 pm

I got a new gate and replaced my old gate, I used my old harness, old glass popper solenoid, old switch (the trip swtich for the glass popper). the damn thing wont work though.

93 caprice wagon

The old gate wouldn't swing open due to previous collision damage however everything else worked fine.

I bought a new/used gate from a RMW .. painted it etc. Installed it hooked it up..

I re threaded my old harness into the new gate, and went to test it, the power lock mech works, the gate ajar works, the solenoid for the window popper was seized so i put the working one from the old gate in it, the middle break light doesnt work. I tested and retested over and over and nothing i did would make the gate(glass) popper work. I replaced the switch with my old working switch, i put a jumper over the lock position switch to ensure it was seeing it as unlocked( tested the switch.. it works), i tested the gate ajar switch works perfect. I tested voltage to the solenoid, it reads 12v when i press the dash switch and when i press the gate switch. 

I climbed under the dash after hearing a small clicking from the relay thinking "this is the only thing i haven't tried" and swapped it out with another relay that was next to it. It still makes the click noise (meaning the relay is actuating correctly). Then i turned the car on completely and let it run for a minute.. then..IT WORKED!!! 

I was so happy, i dont know what i did the solenoid was getting 12v i know the solenoid works consistently b/c i tested it on a 12v source, also the rear center break light started to work again also.. wth did i do? 

Note i said WAS happy.. so it was working in all conditions and as expected. Then i went and put everything back together put the covers back on everything closed it all up and tried it one last time... guess what.. it doesnt work again. Also the center tail light doesn't work either.

So now I have this thing closed, with the interior panel on it and no way to get it open. 

So, I have 2 questions, wth is going on why was it getting 12v at the line but not making the solenoid work, why did it AND the rear tail light start working all the sudden then stop working. .

AND, how in the world am i going to get this thing open again? The only thing that opens the glass is that solenoid. I mean short of drilling a hole in the panel to get a tool in there to pull the actuator i am STUCK.
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: New gate / new problems   New gate / new problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 pm

ALSO - yes i checked the fuse
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: New gate / new problems   New gate / new problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Don't panic, that is a common problem. I don't remember who, but about a week ago, someone had that exact problem. He fixed it, maybe he will pop in.

Can you open it with the key?

Push the bottom right had corner of the gate in (with force). A lot of times you have to slam the gate; that cures many problems.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: New gate / new problems   New gate / new problems Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 pm

You may have a broken wire. Put a pin or needle through the wire, and check it with a VOM. Work your way along the wire until you loose the voltage.
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: New gate / new problems   New gate / new problems Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Don't panic, that is a common problem.  I don't remember who, but about a week ago, someone had that exact problem.  He fixed it, maybe he will pop in.

Can you open it with the key?

Push the bottom right had corner of the gate in (with force).  A lot of times you have to slam the gate; that cures many problems.

Tom

I didn't change out the lock cylinder Sad but looking at the mechanical inside it looks like the push of the lock triggers a switch that fires off the solenoid.

I think im going to take the inner panel off of the driver side and jump 12v to the wire to see if it kicks if not ill have to drill a small hole in the panel under the carpet to get something in there to make it kick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New gate / new problems   New gate / new problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New gate / new problems
Page 1 of 1