GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

which drop spindles will fit?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
79capriceNZ

which drop spindles will fit? Empty
PostSubject: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 4:20 am

Hi
i'm trying to by a set of 2" drop spindles for my wagon (79 caprice classic estate) but I'm having trouble finding any that say's they will fit, however I have found a set through summit that say's they fit a 79 buick regal, monte carlo, malibu and el camino amongst other cars and they look like my ones but I'm not too keen to spend the money and ship them half way around the world without knowing they will fit for sure. any help would be great
Thanks
Jason
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 8:41 am

Back to top Go down
79capriceNZ

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 3:02 pm

would they work on the older cars though? without having to change the brakes etc. I have read somewhere that the later model ones will give you 2" drop by just putting the factory ones in, does that mean if I get 2" drop spindles for a later model car that will give me 4" drop?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 am

My understanding is that the chassis were the same for both boxies and the whales. I can not verify what you are asking though.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 11:09 am

The only difference between the box and bubble spindles is the antilock provision.
Back to top Go down
79capriceNZ

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks, What do you mean by whales and bubbles? 90's GM wagons?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Yup, earlier versions like you have had very square lines, hence "boxies"   The last version from 91-96 are Bubbles or Whales. and Lord knows what else people call them.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Has anyone used the spindles from Crown Suspension (on ebay).... they are substantially less expensive, but I can't find any info or reviews and I'm not interested in using any chinese stuff...
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
BigDaddyDraayom

BigDaddyDraayom

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2017 9:32 am

I know this thread is old, but this is all new to me! Anyone using the Belltech #2105 with SS wheels? The description says they won't work. I have also read about different ball joint sizes. Is this what I need for my 1992 OCC?

Belltech Drop Spindles offer a 2 or sometimes 3 inch drop, depending on the application, while also improving handling and retaining factory ride quality.

DROP SPINDLE SET, 92-96 IMPALA SS/CAPRICE, 2" DROP SPINDLE (WILL NOT FIT SS WHL)

Front Lowering: 2.0"
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2017 9:58 am

I have 2 inch drop Belltech spindles on my OCC. The drawback to the spindles, and maybe the issue is that they push the wheels out about 3/8 of an inch. I have Impala rims on my OCC, and I can only run 215/60s on the front, because of clearance issues. The rears fit with 255/50s. When I had 15 inch steel rims, I was limited to 215s as well. If you lower it more with springs, it will not change the size of tires. A wheel with about 1/2 inch offset would cure the problem with clearance, and not have any other issues.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2017 10:12 am

PS. The ball joints for the Belltech spindles is the correct size for the OCC. The uppers may pull the taper through the spindle excessively. It will not affect the operation, but you may need to put a couple of washers under the nut to get the castleing to engage the cotter pin. The washers must not contact the taper.

You will probably want lowering spring on the rear to level the car a little. If you put aftermarket lowering springs on the back, you will need a 3-4 inch long piece of exhaust tubing welded to the upper seat to keep the springs from falling out when jacking the car. You can also tiewrap the springs to the lower seat to keep them in place there as well.
Back to top Go down
BigDaddyDraayom

BigDaddyDraayom

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2017 10:29 am

Fred, thanks for the answers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which drop spindles will fit?   which drop spindles will fit? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

which drop spindles will fit?
Page 1 of 1