GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Judgement Call - Air Setup

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fullreverend

Judgement Call - Air Setup Empty
PostSubject: Judgement Call - Air Setup   Judgement Call - Air Setup Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Hey guys, I have a low mileage (17,500) 96 RMW. The ride is rather bouncy at highway speed, and the aircompressor runs every 5 mins or so when parked, even if no one is in the car.

Does the ride improve with a moog spring/kyb shock setup, or is this just a way to lose the complexity of the air setup? Trying to figure out what to do here.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Judgement Call - Air Setup   Judgement Call - Air Setup Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Hey fullreverend

That definitely is low mileage. The reason your compressor is running alot, is that you have a leak someplace. It could be in a line, connection or maybe one of those air shocks. The first thing I would do, is figure out what's leaking. It maybe a simple fix. It also could be a hose on the air compressor, which I have seen rotted. That is mounted on the frame drivers side front. You have to take off a small panel to get at it. It is kind of around the radiator area.

Guys replace the air shocks with spring and shocks because the compressor or the shocks are shot. Original shocks are not available.

Tom
Back to top Go down
fullreverend

PostSubject: Re: Judgement Call - Air Setup   Judgement Call - Air Setup Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks Silverfox. I'll get the car on a lift and take a look.
But even if there is a leak, not sure if that's going to fix the bouncy ride on highway. Any "go to" combination of shocks/springs that is known to improve the ride and not make the back go down to floor when passengers/cargo are in back?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Judgement Call - Air Setup   Judgement Call - Air Setup Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Monroe SS (severe service) shock numbers for us are 550012 front and 550013 rear.

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC623-Variable-Rate-Spring/dp/B000C53ZHI

My rear shocks were shot and the hitch was scraping. I replaced the shocks and springs with the above. I haven't driven the wagon to test them, as I am doing "big" maintenance and driving the Caprice wagon. Many wagon owners use that combination.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judgement Call - Air Setup   Judgement Call - Air Setup Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 8:17 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Monroe SS (severe service) shock numbers for us are 550012 front and 550013 rear.

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC623-Variable-Rate-Spring/dp/B000C53ZHI

My rear shocks were shot and the hitch was scraping.  I replaced the shocks and springs with the above.  I haven't driven the wagon to test them, as I am doing "big" maintenance and driving the Caprice wagon.  Many wagon owners use that combination.

Tom C.

That's what I used - It tightened up the rear end and rides really nice.
Back to top Go down
fullreverend

PostSubject: Re: Judgement Call - Air Setup   Judgement Call - Air Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks. Does the air setup connect to the front shocks as well, or does it just regulate the rears?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Judgement Call - Air Setup   Judgement Call - Air Setup Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 am

Rear only.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judgement Call - Air Setup   Judgement Call - Air Setup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judgement Call - Air Setup
Page 1 of 1