GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Interiors Interchangeable?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AzDon

AzDon

Interiors Interchangeable? Empty
PostSubject: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 8:28 pm

My OCC has saddle tan leather interior and I'd prefer blue cloth (or leather)..... I've found a wrecked, low mileage RMW with blue cloth about 350 miles away that I can afford and has a lot of good parts.....Is it possible to change out the interior color completely (?) and are the OCC interiors completely interchangeable with the RMW?
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 pm

I thought you sold your OCC Don,where have you been stranger?Yes the interiors do interchange as far as I have heard from others.What year is the RMW because you might get lucky and get the center armrest with storage and the drink holders.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm not an expert, but I know the RMW would have to be a 91 to 93. On the 94 to 96's the middle seat would be different also the door panels.

Fred K. will probably pop in, he would be the guy who knows.

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Tom,you are a expert compared to me but I thought the back seats were all the same mount wise.
Fred will know if anybody does,thats why he makes the big bucks!lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Tom,you are a expert compared to me but I thought the back seats were all the same mount wise.
Fred will know if anybody does,thats why he makes the big bucks!lol! 

I think he's referring to the way the floor and everything on the folding mechanism works. Your OCC has the big folding panel, the RMW you own has the carpet attached and is a much better design.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 am

If it is a 91-93, just swap all the colored parts (dash front and pad excluded for Caprice). The parts from a 94-96 will all bolt in, if you get the upper mounts for the door panels from the 94-96 doors. You do have to use ALL of the interior parts, and it will be a different color of blue. Either way, you have to do some wiring for the front seats, and in the case of the 94-96, you will have to rewire the connectors for the window, seat and mirror switches as well as some or all of the connectors for the seats. If you use a 94-96 dash, you may be able to use the original harness with some modifications. It will be a major undertaking. Some 94s have a dark sapphire blue interior, but you still have the same issues. If you want to make your life easier get a 91-93 donor car (Caprice and Roadmasters 91-93 have mostly identical parts. Dahs fronts, pads, door pulls and seat stitching are the most different). You will still have some issues, but your dashpad, and some other parts could be painted with SEM. You can also get parts piecemeal from different wagons to complete the swap. Shipping for the large parts can be expensive, so check your local pick-n-pull yards for what you can get. The dark sapphire blue is probably the most common color, so you should be able to assemble a complete interior without too much trouble.
If you get a RM dash front in blue, you could swap the OCC woodgrain part to it, but the map pocket would still be camel.
If you get a part and you don't know if it fits, let me know, and I may be able to guide you.
Sometimes it is less trouble to get a car with the colors you want, especially if you are doing the amount of work you are looking at. The cost of selling yours and buying another is probably under $500, and you are looking at about a full week of work (and PITA factor) to swap the interior.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:02 am

I think I would learn to like the tan.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 am

^^^I 2nd that.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 pm

I really like my wagon and will probably not sell because almost nobody that's buying sees as much value in it as I do!
Because it's got less than 90k (and a 350) I would probably just buy this RMW and change out the front sheetmetal except that the entire right rear of the car has "rubbed the wall". It would still probably be way easier to do body repairs and stick the OCC trim on the RMW, but I'm guessing that wiring the OCC instrument panel in would be a challenge....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 pm

The amount of work you are describing will cost far more, and require more effort than you can imagine. The swapping of trim from an OCC to another B body is not the easy task you envision. You would do best to learn to live with what you have, or get another one that meets you desires. They are out there, and the cost to purchase is not nearly as high as trying to "fix" the one you have. Run a cost analysis before you start to work on the cars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interiors Interchangeable?   Interiors Interchangeable? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interiors Interchangeable?
Page 1 of 1