GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil filter adapter housing leak

Go down 
+8
Dutch Pete
95BRMW
Sprocket
yakko
Roadagon
silverfox103
Krzdimond
phantom 309
12 posters
AuthorMessage
phantom 309

phantom 309

Oil filter adapter housing leak Empty
PostSubject: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 9:38 pm

AAAAAAARGH!!!
the F%$#@*STER RASS^%$#@*ING  adapter has started leaking again,.
i,ve put at least 1500 miles on the the oil filter adapter to block gaskets, and it,s sprung a leak again,.that was the 2nd time,.
1st time i did it, it went 300 miles,it failed and i thought mebbe i did a lousy job of install,. (i kept quiet about that part)
The gasket kit that dorman sells in NFG! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

the round aluminum biscuit with gasket paper on both sides is what you have to use,.
BUT,. its TOO thick.
because it is so thick the large "O" ring that runs the perimeter of the housing doesn't seal properly,.

So after 1500 miles of leak free driving it has failed again,.
I am either going to the dealership to get the proper dog leg gasket,.
OR,.i,m going to add the small oil filter adapter, and use the bigger filter that screws up tight against the block,[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

aaargh!

Nick
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 pm

RTV cures all leaks....
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 pm

I've used the dealer gaskets twice with no problems.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am

I got a small set of oil filter/oil cooler adapter gaskets from NAPA made
   by Fel-Pro #ES70687,not sure of the NAPA p/n. ed
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 10:27 am

FYI, The gasket in my Fel-Pro set is .034" .
ed
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I used the GM gaskets with no leaks. cheers 
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Roadagon wrote:
I got a small set of oil filter/oil cooler adapter gaskets from NAPA made
   by Fel-Pro #ES70687,not sure of the NAPA p/n. ed
good to know, thanks,.

will try either napa or the dealer tomorrow,.F dorman.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 10:27 pm

I used the same POS gaskets and had that MF off 3X and it still leaks. And Robert, RTV does NOT seall all leaks what a royal f'ing PITA it is to get RTV out of that hole. I even swapped to the non oil filters lines adapter thinking I scraped up the old one getting all the RTV out.

I completely understand Nick!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for sharing the frustration Nick, I was about to put those dorman ones in my wagon. If Napa doesn't have it, Autozone sells the Felpro kit as well.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Ok guys, why use an adapter? (I'm probably missing something Shocked )
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 3:29 pm

the dorman kits sucks, I'm using the fel-pro kit now and my o-ring had squarish shape for the actual ring material, not a rounded cable shape. The dorman kit didn't start leeking on Ms. roadie until winter time. I guess the jury is still out for me on the fel-pro kit until winter comes and goes. I it holds up and I don't have to replace that gasket again this winter.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 9:08 pm

this is the dealership number,.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

you can see the difference in the thickness of the aluminum washer/gasket thingy,. the thicker one is the dorman
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

the GM "O" ring is thicker too,.

so as you can now understand the thicker gasket holds the adapter away from the block more,. and the thinner "O" ring doesn't seal well enoiugh,. or it will for a while ,.
SO,,, lesson learned use the GM (or felpro ) gasket/o ring set.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Glad to know I'm not insane. Thanks for the pics Nick, I know which part Ill get next time
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Glad to know I'm not insane.  Thanks for the pics Nick,
The pics are no guarantee of that john,....
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 5:30 pm

I have the Fel-Pro set of gaskets ready so I can do this job.  I have quite a bad leak at this location.

I had hoped that the Fel-Pro kit would include whatever o-rings or seals there are for the oil cooler lines that connect to the adapter, but there are no such pieces in the box.

Does anyone know the size of the o-rings for these lines?  I'm hoping to source them locally so I can get this job done tomorrow.

Oh, and of the two large o-rings in the Fel-Pro kit, which is the correct one to use? I have seen guys on the Impala board mention using both.

I am so close to driving my car, after it living on jack stands since August, that I can taste it.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 9:24 pm

should be a couple of small "o" rings in the kits,

Use which ever larger O ring fits best,. Wink 

Nick
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks for the reply.

My Fel Pro kit had nothing for the #14 seals pictured above.  I think I will reuse the stock pieces since there was no like at those connections.

The kit came with a thick, square-ish rubber ring for the #5 position above, and a thinner more rounded one.  The latter is what matches what I just found when I removed the assembly about a half hour ago, so I will use that one.

I have read about guys using the square rings.

I also understand now what everyone means when they talk about what fun getting the old gasket out is. I'm going to have to be patient for that job.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 7:03 pm

i was going to put the adapter i got on this weekend with the dorman kit thanks for letting me know . i guess i will be going to the dealer tomorrow. hopefully they stock it
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeWed Dec 25, 2013 11:45 am

No small o-rings in the kit I installed either, just reused the old ones. So far no leaks.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeWed Dec 25, 2013 11:50 am

went to dealer yesterday , must have closed early for holiday will get there ltr this week
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 pm

the one I got at NAPA worked just fine. it's been several years and no leaks
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Someone messaged me to tell me that the seals for the cooler lines where they enter the adapter are called (IIRC) Stat-O-Seals. Rubber outisde ring, rubber inner ring. I reused mine and they seem okay. Jegs and other places sell them in different sizes, which is good to know because that's what the coolant tube for the heads uses, too.

I was OCD about cleaning the old gasket material off after removing the adapter. I reinstalled using my new gasket, the thinner o-ring, and then I torqued everything to FSM specs. I checked for leaks several times after running the engine amd the area at the top of the adapter was bone dry for the fist time since I purchased the car.

Today, with the PS front up a little bit so I could remove the old air pump for the shocks, I looked under the car and saw some drips on the concrete. I know the oil level sender is leaking, but I also saw a drop of oil on the bottom of the oil filter.

If that damn adapter is leaking I'm going to be pissed. I need to get the car up on stands and investigate.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 5:35 pm

i got mine sat from the dealer they had it in stock, i was also looking for the 2 hoses that hook the filler tube to the gas tank. they said the hoses are no longer available
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 6:45 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
i got mine sat from the dealer they had it in stock, i was also looking for the 2 hoses that hook the filler tube to the gas tank. they said the hoses are no longer available

You should be able to get rubber hoses at an auto parts store that will work. They didn't seem like anything special to me a week or two ago when I was taking them off and putting them back on.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 7:15 pm

i know the overflow one is 3/4 not a big deal but the otherone reduces in size. does anyone know if i get a silicone hose , if they are ok with gas
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Is your current hose shredded?

If you can't find a hose that is reduced on one end, I imagine that a worm clamp would secure both ends sufficiently well.

Do you kow the size of each end? I never had a need to measure mine.

Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 am

I just saw your post. I too replaced that #5 gasket with the smaller round one and less than a year later when it started getting colder it started leaking again. The second time around I used the square-ish looking one and it's holding up just fine through this winter. Here is an informative [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where this problem has been discussed before. It looks like the GM round O-ring gasket is a larger diameter too, which seals better than the smaller diameter aftermarket one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter adapter housing leak   Oil filter adapter housing leak Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil filter adapter housing leak
Page 1 of 1