GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LROM February 2010

Go down 
+4
lornejay1
brokecello
Sprocket
Chakotay
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chakotay

Chakotay

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 2:13 pm

LROM of the month february, what an honor!
So where to begin?
I was born some 41 years ago in a town called Västerås, that’s located in Sweden for those of you who don’t know.
Västerås also happen to be the town where Power Big Meet is held every year Smile

My big interest in cars began as soon as I could walk (and talk) and soon named every car that I saw. My very first encounter with the best cars in the world (American built ones of course) that left a lasting impression was at age 10. The car was a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS convertible with the mighty 454 cui engine and TH400 Auto. It was red with white SS stripes and a white leather interior.
Fast forward to 1987 and a brand new drivers license, my very first car was a 1961 Ford Zephyr (that I had bought the year before). The Ford was followed by a 1966 Volvo Amazon, my first American car came in the form of a 1974 Plymouth Duster.

A few more Duster’s would follow the first one and then came my first keeper a 1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan. This was sometime in 2000, well I’ve always had a thing about cars from the late 70’s so I guess it was only a matter of time before I’d get one Smile

When my twin sons where born in 2007 I knew that I had to get a bigger car, it should be noted that I also have two daughters. The logical step was to get a 1988 Chevy G20 Van, they’re very abundant in Sweden and reasonably priced altough rust is an issue with most of them sadly. in 2009 a friend of mine bought himself a 1993 Buick Roadmaster and started talking about how great it was so I got more and more intrested in these vehicles. I really wanted a newer rust free car that I could service myself without having to be a rocket scientist and it had to be able to seat 6 persons. The logical choice was a ’91-’96 B body (of course it had to be an American car).

After deciding on a B body the next task was finding one in good shape, not an easy task as owners tend to exaggerate the condition of there vehicles Razz
My first testdrive was a white ’92 OCC but it needed too much work to be intresting.
Second testdrive was a ’94 DCM RMW, after feeling the powerful LT1 I knew that I’d never settle for the TBI engine Wink Anyways it didn’t feel quit right and the owner wasn’t willing to lower his asking price. No matter my mind was set I knew what I wanted so I wasn’t set of when I found my Cherry in Kiruna, some 750 miles from where I live.

Well this is the second winter this Texan girl has seen but I’m very pleased with the way she handles the snow and the cold.
There are a few things that I’ll be fixing on her that isn’t currently working or missing which includes the power antenna, CD player, rear wiper motor, the auto leveling system, cargo cover, safety net and heated front seats (it’s very cold to sit on that leather).
By the way there'll be no mods what so ever on my gal Suspect

When the financial crisis hit late 2008 I became unemployed in february of 2009. I have now begun studying to become a driving instructor so that and my kids keep me quite busy these days Smile

LROM February 2010 Dsc01011
LROM February 2010 Dsc01012
God I miss summer when I see these pics Sad

LROM February 2010 Snow_c10
This is at my mom and dad's place on Christmas Eve

LROM February 2010 Twins10
My boys

LROM February 2010 Daught10
The girls, they love riding tailgunner in the summertime Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Very nice looking RMW and lovely children. I have been to Sweden several times in the early 1990s and was impressed at the country's love of American cars!!

Sounds like you have some nice plans for your car and 100% stock is always nice too (I have an old English sports car that I would never dream of modifying).

As for the level ride, I have two cars that came with it and neither of them have it anymore. Unless you are towing alot/havy loads, a good set of shocks will suffice.

As for the other odds and ends, make a list and myself and others can keep an eye out when we are in the junkyards....
Back to top Go down
Chakotay

Chakotay

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes we do admire and love American cars over here Smile

Well I have no plans that involves a lot of heavy loads but being a freak on 100% stock (as I am) If it's on the car it should be working. If I were to put regular shocks on it it wouldn't be anything special anymore, it's like those '50's Cadillacs with air suspension.
I know I'm crazy but that's me geek

Thank's for the offer on finding the stuff I'm missing, I'll come up with a little list Smile
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Very nice story...and beautiful kids too! Did you ever get those mud flaps?

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
lornejay1

lornejay1

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Nice story,thanks for sharing it with us.

Wagons and kids, It's like they were made for each other

Tom ,where do you find all these stories anyway?? Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm

lornejay1 wrote:

Tom ,where do you find all these stories anyway?? Keep up the good work.

I search the entire world to find these interesting stories and you thought it was easy I bet. Fortunately the Wagon Site has given me an unlimited budget and expense account for me to do this job.

Nice story Tomas, interesting that the Swedes have a passion for US cars. That is a nice color combination. Get the list ready, we've got the parts. I think I have a cargo net, that I will gladly give you, just pay for the shipping.

Very nice family, the picture of your car with the snow is how it looks here. I think I told you, my oldest daughter was an exchange student in Finland for her senior year in high school (about 11 years ago). She stayed in Turko (Abo) with Finn/Swedes and traveled to Stockholm. She had a great experience over there. To this day she is a world traveler.

thanks

Tom
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm just now getting around to reading this. Thanks for sharing your story!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Robert 96

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Wagon of the month   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 6:29 am

Thanks for sharing. I would really like to visit your country. I love Scandinavia! You have a beautiful family and my daughter likes riding tailgunner too. Hope you get a good job soon. Robert and Casey in snowy Cincinnati.
Back to top Go down
ArlingtonSS

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:45 am

Sweet wagon!....great looking kids and great story. Thanks for sharing it with us!

We have a couple of things in common....besides being wagon fans. A 1970 Chevelle SS with a LS6 454, red with white stripes is one of my favorite cars. I have twins, 4 kids (2 boys and 2 girls). Also, I was in Sweden for a week in 1999 and was surprised at how many American muscle cars I saw there.

Thanks again for sharing your story with us....and good luck with the wagon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LROM February 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LROM February 2010   LROM February 2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LROM February 2010
Page 1 of 1