GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady

Go down 
+2
DBeaSSt
Mark 96 Roady
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Empty
PostSubject: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 3:30 pm

There is a junkyard Roady that has a perfect rear heated glass that I would like to have as a spare, but pushing the button will not make it pop up. I lifted the lock on the gate (through the vent windows in the rear) and at one point the keys were in the car (not now) and I tried turning the key, but to no avail. Any ideas? The gate itself is trashed, so some brute force/pounding would not be out of the question if anyone thinks that may help. Thanks:) 
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Do you have a battery box? One of those jumper things. Connect, make sure gate is unlocked and try. Might get lucky.

Or, unbolt the window handle from the inside, not easy but doable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Do you mean the two bolts on the glass that hold on the third brake light? Taking that off would release the glass? I could climb over the rear seats into the back (fun!) if you think that would work. It would be gross in this particular car, but I could do it.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Easy to do. Crawl in the back and remove the spare tire cover. Take out the 2 screws on the face of the gate cover if it has them (some wagons don't. Now you can pull the cover out enough to get your arm in there, find the electric lock actuator and feel around it until you find the part of it that pulls in when you push the button. Pull that part towards the actuator and the glass will pop open.
It sounds harder to do than it is, did that twice this weekend Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Before giving up on the jumper battery idea make sure the shifter is in park otherwise the back window will not unlock.It may unlock when in neutral but I dont think so.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 10:39 pm

A battery from a cordless drill, etc makes opening doors and rolling windows up/down a cinch.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 10:42 pm

94Woody wrote:
A battery from a cordless drill, etc makes opening doors and rolling windows up/down a cinch.
as long as the harness is in tact. Cut wires makes this difficult if you do not know what is what.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Well, that part should be obvious.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 10:54 pm

lol, needed to be said....Cool 
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 9:47 am

Pulling the gate interior up, and reaching under is probably the easiest. It is a lot easier if the foot well cover is open. There is a small tang protruding on the bottom of the glass latch that is the trip for the latch. It is a lot easier to get to than reaching the solenoid. Press it toward the passenger's side, and the glass latch will pop.

While you are in there, get the two clips that hold the rod for the driver's side gate latch, and the two wire ends for the slotted actuator levers on the passenger's side. Neither are available, and are often broken.

Sometimes there are screws under the lower corners of the carpet on the interior panel, instead of the ones behind the tire cover (91-93), and storage compartment panels (94-96).
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Does it matter if the latch was locked prior to it getting stuck? I can lock and unlock the manual gate latch on the passenger side (inside) of the gate. I got the whole rear gate trim off (it was junk anyway, so I just broke it in two) so I have wide open access to the inside of the gate itself from inside the car.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 2:10 pm

The glass latch is separate from the gate latch and you can get the glass to pop no matter what position the gate lock is in. The glass latch is in the middle, and if you activate it, the glass will open. If you want to open the gate after the glass is open, you can move the lock rod either from the outside or inside the gate. Remove the inspection panel from the passenger's side with a 7mm socket, for access.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks guys for all your help. I will be back at that yard in a few days, and if the car and glass are there I will get it. Thanks again.

Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Got the glass today!! Thanks Dave and Fred for walking me through it. It was extra fun here today- a real hot, muggy, day in an old dirty station wagon. The trim cover was already off, so I just kept poking around in there like you both said until it released. Of course it was in the last row of the yard (and a big one at that) and windy, so I thought the damn thing was going to take flight until I could get to the check out counter. But it made it home just fine and is sitting in my garage just in case I might ever need it. Thanks again guys!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I just pulled the rear quarter windows at the local junk yard over Labor Day weekend. That was just as hot, and it takes longer to remove all the parts to get to the windows, than it does to remove the glass itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady   Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opening rear hatch glass on a junk yard roady
Page 1 of 1