GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Starter crossmember?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Starter crossmember? Empty
PostSubject: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:39 pm

How do I get this thing off? I don't seem to have a wrench or socket that will fit inside the frame, or behind the lower control arm, to get the bolts out?

Hmmm....
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Well, I started on this one, hit the same wall, and had to have the thing dragged to the mechanic. For whatever reason, those bolts were better than I am. It was humbling.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Well I just dragged it home, so it's gotta stay here.

Anyone have any insight here? I keep staring at it and not coming up with any sort of viable solution. Hmmm....
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Pic? I never had an issue?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Will snap one tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 am

I managed to get it off with a little persistence. It has been a while, and I am not sure exactly how I did it. You could put headers and duals on it, then the brace will not be in the way. The LT1 cars have the brace welded in place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Already has headers.

I worked around it. With some wiggling, the starter came out without messing with the brace.

Took some creative thinking, and funny angles, but I got it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 1:10 pm

That college education is really paying off!Surprised Shocked Laughing 
Back to top Go down
lcv1490

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 11:34 pm

I used a big flat head crew driver pryed against it and broke lose on other hand but I sprayed wd 40 to soak all day first
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starter crossmember?   Starter crossmember? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starter crossmember?
Page 1 of 1