GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member, no wagon.

Go down 
+6
Wagoninabox
bamalongroof
silverfox103
convert2diesel
phantom 309
stewzer55
10 posters
AuthorMessage
stewzer55

stewzer55

New Member, no wagon.  Empty
PostSubject: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Stew.

A little about myself. I do not have a wagon, but I have been looking to get one for my next project. My last project, a '94 S10, met an unfortunate end with a bent frame from an accident. I graduated college a few months ago and will be starting a new job this week or next once they get my background check back.

I have loved these wagons, B-bodies and D-bodies for a long time and spent a lot of time around them when I was younger. Once I finally get mine, I will probably drive it a lot on nice days and not in the winter to take advantage of the better mileage that these will get over my current daily Trailblazer.

I do most mechanical repairs myself as I learned how to use tools when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 3:58 pm

If you don't have a wagon, you're not allowed to be here.

J/K
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 4:27 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
If you don't have a wagon, you're not allowed to be here.
J/K
Does that also apply to those members that are trying to sell off their entire fleet? bounce 

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Welcome to the madness Stew,guess you know a sense of humor helps around here!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Welcome, Stew!

First of all congratulations on your college graduation, that is a huge accomplishment! Even better you have a job.

You'll like it here, lot of good guys and some characters who are also good guys. Lots of knowledge, any questions just ask. Sometimes we get it right.

Tom
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Welcome Stew good luck in your search seems to be a lot of wagons on craigslist in KY and FL. Not knowing where you are located but its always best to find one far from the rust belt. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Welcome Stew. Where are you located?
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Howdy Stew! What area are you from? Perhaps I can keep my eyes peeled for ya!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Welcome aboard Stew! As others have have mentioned, fleshout your profile so we know about where you are.

I have 305 92 Caprice Wagon that's FS pretty cheap (under $1000) and some decent mods to it already. I have 5 in the yard and need to get rid of 2 of them (the other one is on laaway for another member). It'd be a great starting point for a project wagon:

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t6900-the-resurgence-of-ruby

Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I live in the Dayton, Ohio area and spent some time browsing the forum here before I decided to join.

When I bought my TrailBlazer I thought about getting a '96 Roadmaster as a DD but finding the "right" one was proving to be too much and my money pit of a Cavalier was asking for brakes on all corners, tires, an AC compressor and was starting to get cancer in the rockers.

I think a pre LT1 car would be a better platform to start with as I'd like to go with a biodiesel burning turbo 6.2 with marine compression or an LS engine.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 4:54 pm

BY THE WAY: My avatar is not condoning the use of drugs, but is an actual street sign.  The street that leads back to the USAF Museum.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 6:22 pm

stewzer55 wrote:

I think a pre LT1 car would be a better platform to start with as I'd like to go with a biodiesel burning turbo 6.2 with marine compression or an LS engine.
6.2 has been done,.

marine compression?? whats that?
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 6:30 pm

18:1 vs 21:1 It allows for more boost.
Back to top Go down
Tom Wingo

Tom Wingo

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 8:52 pm

welcome Stew---you will enjoy all the folks here...they are very helpful....find that wagon and go for it...Tom W
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 10:39 pm

stewzer55 wrote:
I'll join the others in welcoming you to the insanity.

As for using a puffer on a 6.2/6.5 in a "B" car, you'll have to concentrate on actually getting one to fit into the confines of the engine compartment before turning up the boost.  Tried for 3 years and short of plumbing up an exhaust worthy of an Italian spaghetti chef, there just ain't enough room.  Been there, done that.

By the way, if you're going to run B100, keep the compression at 22:1 and use an intercooler or the converted Holset, used on the Cummins .  Grease loves compression, and if you plan on going much beyond 250HP, make sure you start with the AMG or diamond block (2001 or later).  Next best is the 88-93 6.2/6.5 blocks.  Avoid the 94 - 2000 6.5s at all costs.

Good luck and looking forward to the build thread.

Bill
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm going through your threads on the diesels right now. A like the idea of keeping the electronics out of it and going with a non-egr engine. Ideally, I'd get my hands on a military surplus engine. I think I read in a magazine somewhere that there is a supercharger available for them too but adding power is far down the road.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 pm

stewzer55 wrote:
As long as the bottom end is built right the 21:1 engine will make more power running the same boost.My kid brother gets that 8 lug magazine and some of those guys have made some incredible power running junkyard engines with stock bottom ends.All or them are running methanol/water injection to help with the combustion chamber temps.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 am

well, 6.5 diesels,....i,ve some experience with them,..

bill,.. the 96-99 blocks weak,.these are oil squirter blocks, with the metric main bolts ,.
the 91-95's are still decent,.2000's improved again.

I,m pretty sure the B body chassis would work with a turbo if you could find an original cts turbo manifold that cocks the turbo up onto the intake somewhat and turns it slightly,.
The manifold was designed to put a turbo 6.2/5 into 73-87 trucks with a/c ,..
Although to be honest i haven't attempted this swap,.............................yet.

Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 am

94-95 blocks could be alright as GM had a bunch of the good 599 blocks left over, but there are a bunch out there with thinner webs etc. that suffered the dreaded web cracking issues. If you're looking at a 94 or 95 block, do your homework.

Bill
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 7:01 pm

599 blocks, got it. 6.2's had stronger blocks to begin with right?
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 10:08 am

Welcome to the madness Stew
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 am

stewzer55 wrote:
Bill, Is this your old Roadie? http://jalopnik.com/5790065/for-2000-this-diesel-roadmaster-is-a-real-loco+motive
Yep that's it. First posted the conversion on the net back in 2004. Can't believe it's still wandering around and that there is still some interest in it. Sold the car to the guy who posted that advert 3 years ago and he sold it to another fellow who presumably is still using it to commute into town some 50 miles away. Jake says he still sees it around on occasion.

I put over a 100K on it after the conversion. Who knows what's on it now? Not bad for a junkyard conversion.

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am

Just watched that video again and it still makes me grin when it clatters to life.A really professional looking installation,looks factory to me.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Very cool wagon...wish I could have seen it in person!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome PhastSS. Like I said, I may choose to go LS power too and have my '88 R3500 flatbed be a diesel toy but having a whale thats dirt cheap to run would be nice too.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 6:45 pm

stewzer55 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome PhastSS.  Like I said, I may choose to go LS power too and have my '88 R3500 flatbed be a diesel toy but having a whale thats dirt cheap to run would be nice too.
Better research that some more,. with the difference in price for fuel (diesel costs more now) the power and efficiency of LS engines,. my 94xclwb 6.5 costs more to run than buddy's 2008 5.3 ccsb, both 8 bolt 4x4's
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 7:25 pm

On the first page I mentioned making my own B100 biodiesel hence the dirt cheap to run part. I figure an LS engine in a B-wagon would return mpgs closer to the higher end of LT-1 mileage which would beat my TrailBlazer by about 25%.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member, no wagon.    New Member, no wagon.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member, no wagon.
Page 1 of 1