GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Please Help ! 4L60E transmission install

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PSchelly

PSchelly

Please Help !  4L60E transmission install Empty
PostSubject: Please Help ! 4L60E transmission install   Please Help !  4L60E transmission install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I am about to order a completely rebuilt (& warranted) 4L60E transmission for my 1995 RMW, and was wondering....

Besides the rear main seal, is there anything else you would recommend I replace while I have that sucker up in the air ?

I was thinking maybe some hoses, or some wiring, a seal...anythin that might fail in the near future that you would suggest replacing while I'm under there ?

Thank You in advance for your opinions !

Sincerely,

Andy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Please Help ! 4L60E transmission install   Please Help !  4L60E transmission install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 4:51 pm

If the rear main seal is not leaking,. i personaly would just let sleeping dogs lie so to speak.

Make sure the transmission mount is in good shape,.check your universal joints for good movement throughout their complete travel range while the shaft is out. Check you rear axle pinion seal if it's leaking its a good time to replace it while you have the shaft out.

If your trans has failed and is full of debris,. you really need to flush the trans cooler lines well before you install the new trans.

Nick
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Please Help ! 4L60E transmission install   Please Help !  4L60E transmission install Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 10:15 am

Andy, as Nick suggested I would look at replacing the trans mount, ujoints. Take a look at the Rear Differential seal while your under there, also check you diff fluid, and for any signs of the rear brakes, and or axle seals leaking
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: Please Help ! 4L60E transmission install   Please Help !  4L60E transmission install Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 11:24 am

As cheap as flexplates are and since the trans is already out of the way,I would replace it too.
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Please Help ! 4L60E transmission install   Please Help !  4L60E transmission install Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 11:21 am

Yea, I just replaced my 4L60E about a year ago, I also purchased a rebuilt trans from a
very reputable builder,he does mostly drag racing transmissions. I tend to stay away from
stuff with rediciolus warrenties and or very low prices. Anyway after about 7000 miles,the trans
is still performing very well. I would replace the torque converter with a good individually built
unit,because they are lighter and stronger and I would replace the starter wheel also. ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please Help ! 4L60E transmission install   Please Help !  4L60E transmission install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please Help ! 4L60E transmission install
Page 1 of 1