GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What can i pull a rear swaybar from?

Go down 
+4
Wagoninabox
Roadagon
BigBlackBeaSSt
randumnumber
8 posters
AuthorMessage
randumnumber

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Empty
PostSubject: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Hey all, looking to add a rear sway bar to the 93 caprice wagon, was wondering if there is a definitive list of RPO codes or makes/models to be on the look out for at the yard. I know the lincoln town car has one and there is a ford bar, but that is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

On another note, if i am going to pull a 9c1 front bar, what else do i need to pull along with it? Bushings and mounts?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Do a search for Crown Vic sway bar. Look for the largest bar. Mine came off a Mercury Grand Marquis with airride suspension.
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 7:08 pm

For my 96 Roadmaster,I used a rear sway bar from a 9C1 Police vehicle and added boxed alum lower control arms.
The LCA'a are designed to be used on a wagon with a 9C1 sedan bar,it makes for a very clean installation and you dont need to use muffler clamps or anything like that. ed
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Roadagon wrote:
For my 96 Roadmaster,I used a rear sway bar from a 9C1 Police vehicle and added boxed alum lower control arms.
The LCA'a are designed to be used on a wagon with a 9C1  sedan bar,it makes for a very clean installation and you dont need to use muffler clamps or anything like that. ed
Part number or link for these alum lower arms.. or equivalent, that would let me use 9c1 rear sway bar?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 7:38 pm

I first has that set up with the stock arms and brackets I made. Worked exatly as that set up. It moves the bar forward on the control arms to a narrower part of the control arms. This loses leverage. The Crowne Vic bar works muvh better.
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 9:30 pm

OK today was a good day.. I got a 9c1 front sway bar with end links and good bushings. I also got a 9c1 rear sway bar and the little metal mounting brackets that go in the lower control arms. I walked endlessly through the ford/lincoln/merc section at the yard, i found a few crown vics, but only 1 of them had a rear sway bar, and it was tiny no bigger round than my thumb. so i gave up on that, didn't see any mercury marauders at all.

So, can someone give me more info on how to mount the rear bar? Do i just move it up to a narrower part of the LCA's?
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 9:32 pm

OH, and i got a certified 92 caprice speedometer gauge pack.. need to sand and polish the plastic but otherwise it looks to be in very good shape. santa 
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Pics here please as I want to start scouting for the bars myself and a good pic of the right bar will help greatly!
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 am

randumnumber wrote:
Roadagon wrote:
The LCA'a are designed to be used on a wagon with a 9C1  sedan bar,it makes for a very clean installation and you dont need to use muffler clamps or anything like that. ed
Part number or link for these alum lower arms.. or equivalent, that would let me use 9c1 rear sway bar?
Ok the name of the company that manufactures the bars is Metco Motorsports, Phone 864-332-5929. I have used these bars for about 5 years now without a problem .My Roadmaster was very unstable around corners, with the stronger LCA's and the sway bar there is
a huge improvement in handling,plus it is a very clean set up. ed
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks for the info. I'll post pictures on Thursday or so, after i get back out to the shop.
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:55 am

Wagoninabox wrote:
Pics here please as I want to start scouting for the bars myself and a good pic of the right bar will help greatly!
I'll post pics later this week, in my case i just walked around all the caprice sedans and looked at the RPO code in the trunk, if it has 9c1 package it is almost 100% that it will have the heavy duty stuff on it.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 12:36 pm

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? DSC00090

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? DSC00092

So I did that mod.  9C1/Impala SS sway bar on the wagon.  As I stated before to mount the sedan bar on our cars you need to slide the bar up in the control arms.  This increases the lever arm that the axle has on the sway bar so it decreases the usefulness.  It worked but I was not happy with it.  Granted if you use the Matco rear control arm it would work some better, but still the same physics.

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? P4210395

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? P4210396

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? P4210397

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? P4210394

This is the "Panther" bar as Ford folks will call it.  It is smaller, but since it has better geometry it works better. The largest stock bar is the 21mm. It is not found on the cop cars or Marauder. It is on the Mercury Grand Marque with airbag rear suspension.  There is an aftermarket version (1") sold by Summit that should include everything you need except the 3" pipe clamps to mount it to the axle.
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks for all the pics, man there where a ton of grand marques at the lot, i didn't check them at all Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 10:42 am

randumnumber wrote:
Thanks for all the pics, man there where a ton of grand marques at the lot, i didn't check them at all Crying or Very sad 
The Fords have a 17mm, 19mm, & 21mm sway bars. Very small relative to our bulky bars, but they seem to work. I took a 21mm open end wrench into the yard and just found a snug fit. I got lucky and found it in the first yard I looked. Others have struggled to find them, so they seem to be rare. Ford has discontinued them.

This is the Addco bar for the full size Ford. It runs for about $180. You would just need the frame mount brackets and 3" pipe clamps.

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Aco-650_w_ml

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aco-650/overview/

Do some searching on this forum. Toomanytoyz has likely the most experience with this set up and has done some auto-crossing with his wagon. He would be a good sounding board for you.

This is by for the best information on B-Body suspensions that I am aware of. http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=230247 . There is wagon specific info in there, but you will need to dig gor it. Someone does make a drop on sway bar for the wagons. I think it is Hotchkis, but I cannot sware by it.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Roadagon wrote:
randumnumber wrote:
Roadagon wrote:
Ok the name of the company that manufactures the bars is Metco Motorsports, Phone 864-332-5929. I have used these bars for about 5 years now without a problem .My Roadmaster was very unstable around corners, with the stronger LCA's and the sway bar there is
 a huge improvement in handling,plus it is a very clean set up. ed
Two things:
1) I think these are the ones he was referring to:
http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCA0012

2) I think you have shown me the path for installing a sway bar to my own 89 wagon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 8:38 pm

The 21mm (20.5 actually) can also be found on certain Crown Vics. I found this one recently on a fully loaded 1999.

What can i pull a rear swaybar from? 1622841_10203394491928048_843402564_n
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

Oh man that looks good. Is there a code to know on crown vics for this package?

94Woody wrote:
The 21mm (20.5 actually) can also be found on certain Crown Vics. I found this one recently on a fully loaded 1999.

Back to top Go down
piranah

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 2:06 am

randumnumber wrote:
Oh man that looks good. Is there a code to know on crown vics for this package?

94Woody wrote:

Any Crown Vic or Grand Marquis with rear air ride will have it. You will want to look for HPP or Handling and performance package. Not sure about Town Cars, but they always had a rear bar too.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Even the 17mm bar is a vast improvement over no bar...Couldn't find a 21mm so I grabbed a 17mm, handling is far better but I do plan on finding a bigger one.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 5:27 pm

I have a 17 right now. Hoping to swap this one in tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can i pull a rear swaybar from?   What can i pull a rear swaybar from? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What can i pull a rear swaybar from?
Page 1 of 1