GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member from Michigan

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WhiteWagon

New Member from Michigan Empty
PostSubject: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Hey guys,

I just purchased my 1994 Caprice wagon a couple months ago. I have always loved wagons, and have owned a few. Nothing as big as this boat though. Growing up, my family had a 95 RMW bought new. This one replaced my wife's 2003 Pontiac Montana. She absolutely refuses to drive the caprice so I took it over. I personally think it is slightly cool and surprisingly fun to drive. I live in SE Michigan. I'm a driveline build technician at Mclaren Performance Engineering in Livonia. I have been passionate about cars since I was a kid. I've built a few and owned a bunch. I bought this car cheap and its really not nice enough to drop a bunch of money into. Probably just make it a little faster and drive it for a couple years.
So far I have put in new stereo, radiator, water pump, Accel Opti, 8mm wires, Summit Racing mufflers, and my driver's side long tube header. Other mods done before I got the car include cat delete, resonator delete, trailer brake controller, remote start (unhooked and i don't have fobs), cowl hood and ss grille. Car is in decent shape for how old it is. Typical rust on lower rear quarters, floor pans rusted, bondo and repaint on driver's door and front fender. It runs strong and i'm working out the bugs. Supposedly has 140k on it but with non functioning lcd display I really can't be sure. I did notice when the rear windows fogged up I could see the logo for Personal Street Rods in Livonia MI. Might try to make contact and see if I can find out some history.

Problems:

• Random check engine light - can't find scanner to read
  • Lousy heat - coolant flushed, core flushed 3 times, comes and goes
  • No keyless entry - has unhooked remote starter with no fobs
  • Cooling fans wired to switches in ash tray - need tsb harness
  • No high beams - pull lever and lights go out
  • No LCD speedo - tried easy things, dash trimmed inside probably had custom gauges at one point, not sure if cluster bad or wiring has been damaged
  • Obviously rust repair
  • Pass key fault, air bag, abs lights on
  • No ABS - wish it worked but won't put money into fixing. RTV on rear diff cover. Maybe regeared w/o proper reluctor
  • Missing rear wiper blade

Future Plans:

• Fix above issues
  • Might do body work and cheap paint
  • Freshen up engine and heads and drop in a mild cam
  • Probably go 3.42's out back (will serve road trip duty so i don't want to kill highway mpg
  • Rebuild the 4L60

I look forward to learning from the members on this site and getting to know you guys. I linked some pics, but it won't let me post them for 7 days. You'll just have to use your imaginations. Its all white with a black cowl hood.

-Sean-
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Hey Sean

Welcome aboard!

There are quite a few members from out your way. You'll find lot's of knowledge and good guys here. But, I can see that you bring quite a bit to the table also.

Post some pictures when you can. I think you have to have 5 posts first.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Welcome Sean to the madness,sounds like you already have it pretty bad!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Quote :
No high beams - pull lever and lights go out

Easy, dimmer switch. Top of column, about 12 bucks. 1/2 work for you. Drop the bottom dash trim, unbolt the black knee bolster, take out the two big nuts that hold the column up. Lower column onto seat. Flick the high beam lever so you know what to change, it will be obvious. Three 10mm nuts, one electrical connection. Install the new one, slide it into place, tighten nuts. Pull the pin, check the operation. If you wiring looks burned, replace the pigtail. Put everything back together, enjoy high beams!
Back to top Go down
64osby

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Quote :
Random check engine light - can't find scanner to read

Paper clip across 2 terminals will flash the code on the CEL.  Count the flashes.  It works on my 92 and did on my 93.

Michigan rust is hard to avoid, mine is a constant reminder.
Back to top Go down
WhiteWagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 5:15 pm

64osby wrote:
Quote :

Paper clip across 2 terminals will flash the code on the CEL.  Count the flashes.  It works on my 92 and did on my 93

It doesn't work for 94. Apparently that's when they started changing the system and it requires a scanner to pull codes. Unfortunately most of the people they have working at the local auto parts stores don't even know what obdI is, so I'm having a hard time finding a scanner to work. I may just end up buying a cable and tuning software since that's where I'll end up anyways with this car.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 6:19 pm

WhiteWagon wrote:
64osby wrote:
Quote :

Paper clip across 2 terminals will flash the code on the CEL.  Count the flashes.  It works on my 92 and did on my 93

It doesn't work for 94. Apparently that's when they started changing the system and it requires a scanner to pull codes. Unfortunately most of the people they have working at the local auto parts stores don't even know what obdI is, so I'm having a hard time finding a scanner to work. I may just end up buying a cable and tuning software since that's where I'll end up anyways with this car.

I have one of the OTC code scanners from 1993 that reads my OCC.Uses these plastic cassettes for various makes and does a very good job reading all areas.This came in a giant plastic case that about 4 feet long,2 feet tall and about 8 inches thick.Its called a monitor 4000 enhanced and compared to the new scanners its truly a dinosaur.
Back to top Go down
WhiteWagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 3:13 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Quote :
No high beams - pull lever and lights go out

Easy, dimmer switch.  Top of column, about 12 bucks.  1/2 work for you.  Drop the bottom dash trim, unbolt the black knee bolster, take out the two big nuts that hold the column up. Lower column onto seat.  Flick the high beam lever so you know what to change, it will be obvious.  Three 10mm nuts, one electrical connection.  Install the new one, slide it into place, tighten nuts.  Pull the pin, check the operation.  If you wiring looks burned, replace the pigtail.  Put everything back together, enjoy high beams!

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the info!!
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Welcome aboard, Sean!
Should I be watching for your wagon on the road near Troy?
Back to top Go down
WhiteWagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 7:58 pm

JoeT wrote:
Welcome aboard, Sean!
Should I be watching for your wagon on the road near Troy?

I live in South Lyon and work in Livonia. Don't get out to the Troy area. Not too far away though.

Here are a couple pictures of the white whale:

New Member from Michigan IMG_00000616_zps35f51934

New Member from Michigan Capricehood_zpsbd87c1cb

New Member from Michigan Caprice_zps5685e82b

Sorry for the crappy pictures. I will get some better ones when the weather permits. There really isn't a picture that's gonna make it look good though. It is fun to drive and can haul the groceries with a quickness!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member from Michigan   New Member from Michigan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member from Michigan
Page 1 of 1