GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Drop tank or trap door

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sj95rmw

Drop tank or trap door Empty
PostSubject: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:11 am

There's a great sticky here on dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump. I also noticed on the Net that many
people suggest cutting a trap door for a faster fuel pump job.

Opinions on which method is better ?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:06 am

The only benefit to cutting a trap door is if you do a lot of road trips and want to be able to replace the pump while on the side of the road.

Otherwise I would not bother. You will spend more time cutting the floor and then sealing it back up then you will just dropping the tank.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 am

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, and suspect that you might have to replace the pump more than twice, making the mod the first time is cost/time effective. Once you have replaced the pump a few times, it is a less effective tradeoff in time and money. You have to get the sheet metal part from a donor car, so availability of parts is another consideration.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 am

There is a write up here someplace that I did, don't have time to look it up now, but will later. Someone may drop in with it.

Tom
Back to top Go down
sj95rmw

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:04 am

I plan on using a quality wallbro pump & I doubt I'll put more than 100K miles on it
so probably 1st & last time.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Found it: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tom
Back to top Go down
sj95rmw

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Good pictures, great write up. Another way to cut is to put a stop collar on a drill bit so the drill
can't penetrate too deep & just drill a series of holes. I might drop the tank anyway just to
check on all the wiring & tubing. Make sure they're in good shape as well.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:04 am

If I were to cut the floor of my wagon, I would smooth out the shape of the opening. I would also put a set of connectors where I could disconnect the sender unit at the opening. The wiring is trapped between the tank and body so you would not have to fish it through.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:44 am

Dropping the tanks isn't all that bad, and it does give you the opportunity to clean and inspect some stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drop tank or trap door   Drop tank or trap door Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drop tank or trap door
Page 1 of 1