GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

May sound like a silly question but...

Go down 
+5
phantom 309
lowlow37
Fred Kiehl
silverfox103
vamp8267
9 posters
AuthorMessage
vamp8267

May sound like a silly question but... Empty
PostSubject: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm trying to be as detailed as possible with this situation.
I have been dealing with issues with the trans in my new to me, 94 RMW. It would drive perfectly fine first time I would fire it up any particular day, Roasting tires and spinning the rear-end around the whole time. But after driving it a shirt amount of time, it would start slipping, searching for gears, speedo quitting and coming back on with no rhyme or reason. Now mind you, this isn't a daily driver as of yet. I rescued her from a 10 year nap in someone's backyard. I would have to charge the battery before I could start it, and dismissed this as an electrical gremlin that would be dealt with after I got it going and stopping properly. So I recently had the alternator tested at brand X chain auto store and it failed all three items they checked for during test. My question is, I understand that the trans is controlled electrically for everything it does. Could the fact that I was driving it with a bad alternator and a quickly dwindling battery the cause of my trans issues? I haven't fired it up since replacing the alternator as I had submitted to the obvious fix of replacing the trans. Before I go through the hell that is a trans swap, could anybody tell me if the electrical issue could be to blame? Oh, and fluid level stayed steady each time the trans would crap out on me. Anything else I may need to clarify please ask me about it. I'm aggressively searching for an answer on this matter. Final note, I understand that nobody can diagnose my trans over the internet. I'm not asking for that, just an educated thought about the situation.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 6:49 pm

By any chance is there an aftermarket alarm system on the car?

Tom
Back to top Go down
vamp8267

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 9:29 pm

That would be a negative as best to my knowledge. No tell-tale signs such as horn for alarm under hood, flashing red light or unlit aftermarket installation of small bulb. No obtrusive wiring, etc.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 pm

I had an aftermarket alarm system in a Caprice that I bought from my brother. He had electrical problems with that car from day 1 (he bought it new) and then I had them until I figured out the alarm was causing the problem.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:25 pm

It could have a sticky valve that needs the trans to heat up to act up. Try taking it to a trans shop, and have them check it. It may be a simple repair. Your sig does not show your location.
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:09 am

Flush the coolant lines to the radiator And make sure that TV wire is running free. You might get a cavity problem with your oil. I assume thet you changed oil and filter in the trans already ?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 am

wasn't this covered last year in april,....

whats changed?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 am

Always do the easy stuff first, and NEVER just replace parts because you have a hunch or somebody on the internet tells you to. Diagnose, diagnose, diagnose.

Before you start the car, see what the voltage is at the battery terminals. Start the car. What's the voltage? Drive it for 10 minutes. What's the voltage?

If you don't have a voltmeter, go find a Harbor Freight or an auto parts store and buy one.

I will await your response on the voltage before recommending anything else.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Speedo dropping out, sounds like it's loosing the signal from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). If the PCM doesn't know how fast the car is going it could cause some odd shifting.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 8:12 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
By any chance is there an aftermarket alarm system on the car?

Tom

So after the rest you all read that... How many of you were wondering if Tom really wanted to steal his Wagon?
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 pm

To answer your question, yes there are electric solenoid valves in the 4L60E transmission fitted to the 94 and up. They take the place of a TV cable and associated mechanical linkage. And yes, electrical issues could cause strange shifting. But I suspect if there is still enough voltage to run the engine, there is still enough voltage to run the transmission too.

Several people have already pointed out the futility and expense of diagnosis by random parts swapping. Listen to them. That said, one of the first things I would do on buying a Roadmaster of unknown maintenance history is change the tranny fluid. To me, in the absence of any further information to help with a diagnosis, my gut feeling is that your problem is more likely temperature related than electrical, and the fluid is rather sensitive to temperature, especially if the fluid is old and contaminated.
Back to top Go down
vamp8267

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 6:52 am

Well, I wish to thank you all for your info. and I have gotten the answer. Finally gave in and drove it since changing the alternator. Nothing changed so I took her to local trans shop and trans needs complete rebuild. I thank you all for your time and input.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May sound like a silly question but...   May sound like a silly question but... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

May sound like a silly question but...
Page 1 of 1