GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

School me on brakes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
piranah

School me on brakes Empty
PostSubject: School me on brakes   School me on brakes Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 8:31 pm

So I grabbed the Rock Auto Raybestos brake pads at the close out. Im needing to do brakes all around. So what all is involved? I am reading of having to repack bearings etc. I know what it takes to do brakes on a Crown Vic, but I didnt remember having to pack bearings. Whats different about these cars?

Also, aside from new pads, rotors, shoes and drums, what else should I look at replacing while I am doing all this?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: School me on brakes   School me on brakes Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 9:43 pm

Brake jobs are pretty much the same for all cars since the 60's.

The Crown Vic (Panther platform) updated their front hubs, GM did not. Your car has the old greased bearings. Simple to do, just an extra step or two.

Remove all the stopping stuff, then the castle nut. Remove the outer bearing, replace the nut. Pull the rotor off HARD to leave the inner bearing and seal on the spindle.

repack, replace.

While you are in there, check the rubber brake lines as they are getting old and the hard brake lines under the frame rail are prone to rust.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: School me on brakes   School me on brakes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 9:34 am

If you are just throwing a set of pads on it, push the piston back in, remove the caliper, and swap pads. You should use some "brake quiet" while you are at it, but then you just put the caliper back. Inspect everything else, and If the lines are all cracked, you should change them. Do not let the system drain, because it is a PITA to re-bleed the master cylinder. If you opened the system, bleed it, and off you go. If you do not open the system, you do not have to bleed it.

A couple of notes of caution, if you are pushing the piston back in, make sure the master cylinder is not full of fluid, and can spill out. The fluid from the piston will go back into the master cylinder reservoir, and fill it up quickly. There is about 2-4 ounces of fluid in the piston. The brakes will gravity bleed, and you can close and pump if necessary. If your fluid is really dark, you may want to flush the brakes. You have to start with the most remote first (actually the rears are equidistant, because the single line goes to the center of the axle), and work your way to the closest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School me on brakes   School me on brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

School me on brakes
Page 1 of 1