GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

White smoke

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jmciv2069

jmciv2069

White smoke  Empty
PostSubject: White smoke    White smoke  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Howdy All! My 94 Caprice Wagon LT1 is running like a top, great power all good. its getting warmer finally here in Chicago and I noticed heavy exhaust smoke( tolerable not horrific) especially out of the passenger side. I thought it was from cold weather. Now that it is nicer out I am noticing it. Looking Online I see a range of issues from fuel filter to bad head gasket. The car runs great and wondering if i should just deal with it or get it checked out. Any experience out there.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

White smoke  Empty
PostSubject: Re: White smoke    White smoke  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 6:13 pm

This is going to sound stupid, but go out back and smell the exhaust. Does it smell like coolant, oil, fuel, or just exhaust?
Back to top Go down
jmciv2069

jmciv2069

White smoke  Empty
PostSubject: Re: White smoke    White smoke  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Smells like exhaust.. I have read if its smells like coolant it would be a head gasket, it just smells like exhaust. and you have to get real close to smell it.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

White smoke  Empty
PostSubject: Re: White smoke    White smoke  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 9:59 am

At this time of year it could just be condensation boiling off in the exhaust system, but that usually fades after a good run. White smoke usually means moisture (including coolant), blue is oil, black is fuel/misfire.

One sure sign is coolant consumption -- if coolant is mysteriously disappearing without leaving puddles under the car, then maybe it's going out the tailpipe. A check of the plugs may reveal which cylinder is involved. A significant leak into a cylinder will usually cause misfire issues, and may cause hydro-locking, especially when attempting a restart when hot.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

White smoke  Empty
PostSubject: Re: White smoke    White smoke  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 4:59 pm

I agree that it is *just* condensation. Light white smoke is normal for most cars, LOTS of smoke is never good.

Simple check is to check out other cars on the road as you stop at a light. Do some of them smoke just as much as you? Do you smoke more at idle, under acceleration, or does it stay the same?

The answers to these tells us more about what can cause the issue, but I am leaning more towards the cats not burning off the exhaust. And that is a *non* issue.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

White smoke  Empty
PostSubject: Re: White smoke    White smoke  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 12:19 pm

.....you may have elected a Pope.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

White smoke  Empty
PostSubject: Re: White smoke    White smoke  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White smoke
Page 1 of 1