GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

We've got SMOKE!!

Go down 
+2
silverfox103
MarkH
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkH

MarkH

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:02 am

I've been trying to diagnose the "hot smell" coming from the pass side of my 94 RMW. I thought it might've been coolant but the smell wasn't quite right. Yesterday on the way home from work, I was sitting at a stop light and noticed smoke billowing out from the lower pass side of the car. I pulled over, popped the hood and white smoke was billowing from underneath the car. Oil was dripping off the engine onto the cat and burning, hence the white smoke... but that's a LOT of oil!! So I'm guessing a bad gasket somewhere? I noticed that the pass side valve cover is covered in grease, oil and grime, ESPECIALLY around the oil filler neck, while the driver's side is dry. I changed the oil a few weeks ago and used a high mileage... and NO I didn't spill any... besides, that would've burned off by now. What do you guys think?

Mark
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net
silverfox103
silverfox103

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:20 am

Mark,

Make sure the valve covers are snug. Also take out the oil filler tube and make sure there is an "O" ring between the tube and the valve cover. The "O" ring is available at any hardware. Make sure there are no sending or sensor units leaking.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks Tom
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Mark:

You should also check your PCV valve (drivers side intake). If its plugged, the crankcase will pressurize and pump oil out your fill tube. If you remove the fill cap when the engine is running and theres a lot of blowby, this is your first place to look.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 pm

wipe the area as clean as you can, run the motor and look for the leaks too...
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:53 pm

convert2diesel wrote:
Mark:

You should also check your PCV valve (drivers side intake). If its plugged, the crankcase will pressurize and pump oil out your fill tube. If you remove the fill cap when the engine is running and theres a lot of blowby, this is your first place to look.

Bill
You should also disassemble the entire PCV pipe system and clean it out. Mine was completely full of crud and so the crankcase was breathing solely through the passenger side fresh air vent... right into the throttle body.
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks guys... that'll be my plan of attack tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:46 pm

did you put oil in the trans lately? Been doing some 'spirited' driving?

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

We've got SMOKE!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: We've got SMOKE!!   We've got SMOKE!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We've got SMOKE!!
Page 1 of 1