GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)

Go down 
+2
81X11
steel-and-fire
6 posters
AuthorMessage
steel-and-fire

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Empty
PostSubject: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 10:21 am

(NOTE: All pics are being used for reference purposes only.)

'Firefly' is going to need a paint job at some point. Aside from the body work, dents to fix, and plenty of other things I just wanted to toss around some ideas. This is not even preliminary, just brainstorming ideas and wanted to get some input. I know there are a few roadmasters here with wicked paint jobs.

As she sits (Doesn't look as good in person). Has Burgundy Red interior:
Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 20140525_191942_zps52d2bcc4

1) Respray back to white with non-stock woodgrain.
Easiest option. Simply respray and prep. The woodgrain always looked like Ikea wood personally. Was thinking getting one of the darker Oldsmobile variants. This reference is actually pretty close to what it'd look like.
Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) IMG_0153_zpsf8bcc502

2) Copper/Bronze/Burnt Orange with Custom Mahogany woodgrain
With red-ish mahogany woodgrain it would compliment the orange nature of the color.
Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 15-16-im-Picture_1-1192_zps4430b83e

3) Metallic Blue with Mahogany or Oldsmobile Woodgrain
I don't like the stock colors it came with, but I thought this blue with woodgrain would be a bit of retro and classic styling. Almost stock with a bit of flair. Certainly would show off the chrome and stainless pieces. Would pop without being too showy.
Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 99metallic-blue9-800_zps3884ef26

Other things I want to do is change the color of the wood molding trim pieces to either chrome or just recolor to match the wood. Oh and I will be hunting down the portholes for the side fenders.

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 77buick12crhome3_zpsc0606e98

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Buick-electra-estate-wagon-09_zps4a27781d
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:17 pm

The light wood was used on the top-level Electra, the dark wood was used on the LeSabre wagon models.

I like the white. Easy and cheap to paint, hides small issues, and always looks good over red interior.

Keep us in the loop.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 7:18 pm

I'd agree on something complimentary to the existing interior, Although I 've liked that blue on the Vettes, it would clash with the interior. Might still be safe with something in the reddish family.

Dave

Last edited by lakeffect on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 7:19 pm

I agree.... with 81x11
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Yes keep the Copper/Bronze/Burnt Orange with Custom Mahogany woodgrain out of your head. I'm working on something already LOL!
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate the feedback.

I am eager to see how Roady-man's car turns out if its something along the lines of #2.

#1 is probably the best option at the current moment. "Easy and cheap to paint" as Mike mentioned. Cheap also being the opportune word. Won't have to do door seals and whatnot. If I could pull off redoing the exterior (Sand and prep myself) for 1000-1500 I'd be happy for a while. Hate to do things twice, but it would be more time and much more money to change color and do custom wood-grain properly. I have neither.

Not completely unsold on the blue. When I saw the thread on roadmastercouple paint job, the blue looked really nice. Could try to swap out the interior, but burgundy cloth looks so good in these cars. Oh, the dilemmas! I agree, it can clash with the red, but then sometimes I think it can be pulled off. Plenty of time to dream and think of other color combos.

Again, I appreciate the input from you guys and bouncing ideas around. That's the best part about ideas, they can change all the time. Nothing is set in stone.

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 8asymuta

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Carsss001
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 9:53 am

Here is a curveball into my ideas. Honestly, I didn't think it would was a good idea until seeing these pics. (And I know its a Country Squire)
Black paint with woodgrain and a red interior.

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 1988-Ford-LTD-Country-Squire-Station-Wagon-Black-Wood-Grain-Burgundy-int

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 1988-Ford-LTD-Country-Squire-Station-Wagon-Black-Wood-Grain-Burgundy-int

Was looking around for other woodgrain on black references, but all I could find were these:
Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 20004758-770-0@2X-700x392

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) 1961_Ford_Country_Squire_resize
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Black, wood, and red guts is nice in my book. I would use a mahogany vinyl though
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 2:09 am

The Ford combination looks really good. IMO
Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)   Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ideas on Paint (Pic heavy)
Page 1 of 1