GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Optispark stops playing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

Optispark stops playing Empty
PostSubject: Optispark stops playing   Optispark stops playing Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Heading home Last Sunday from the Badass meet I was accelerating up a hill and the engine stopped with a loud bang.

I had the car towed home.  Starting with the easiest parts to check. First I swapped over the ICM and Coil from a running car. After that didn't work I proceeded to follow the diagnostic steps as outlined in the FSM. I confirmed I had no spark but did have signal to the injectors as verified by use of a noid light. Documented rotor failures and a backfire at the moment of death made me suspect that something had gone wrong inside the Opti.

So I dove in.

As soon as I freed it from the engine there was the tell tale sound of loose parts inside. As some would say its a distributor not a baby rattle.

With some serious luck all four screws came out intact.  

Lifting the cover I was able to see the following.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The rotor screws had backed off and were laying in the bottom of the housing.

There was minimal damage to the rest of the distributor only a broken locating pin on the rotor to show for the event.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I inspected each part carefully and then re-assembled it this time using Loctite on the rotor screws. I then bench tested the Opti to make sure it was good to go.

I hope to have it re-installed and running later this week.

Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Optispark stops playing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Optispark stops playing   Optispark stops playing Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:40 am

I tried copying and pasting your pix's but invalid link.
Back to top Go down

Optispark stops playing
Page 1 of 1