GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape Empty
PostSubject: Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape   Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 5:03 pm

Greetings all:

I have endeavored to reseal all my weather-stripping in mu ongoing leak-fix madness.

The factory covered many seams beneath the weather-stripping with a black butyl tape that had a clear thick plastic back. This allowed the butyl to seal into the seam and the plastic film so you could remove and reapply the weather-stripping without a mess.

I cannot locate this tape anywhere! There is plenty of butyl tape on the market but it is all paperbacked and designed to be removed from the paper.

Anyone seen this and know how I can go about getting some?

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape   Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 pm

The plastic back will not allow you to remove it without a mess. It will allow you to remove anything on top of the plastic without dragging the butyl with it. Any plastic film would replace the plastic you are referring to. You can then use any common butyl rope sealer, and put the film on top. After installing the butyl, painting it would serve the same purpose.
Back to top Go down
pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape   Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 11:57 pm

3M offers a paperbacked butyl product.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape   Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 2:18 am

Been there tried that. Doesn't have the same bond that the black Butyl factory stuff did. Also, it really needs to be like the factory used and be plastic backed as the Butyl will stick the plastic and you can remove/adjust your gasket seals without a mess. With the paper backed type, the paper doesn't stay on.

I searched adnuseaum and there is nothing like it made anymore unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape   Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help locating GM type Buytl sealing tape
Page 1 of 1