GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Locating a part...

Go down 
+2
silverfox103
ShamelessTR
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 4:43 pm

This is for my 94 RMW. Does anyone here happen to know where I can locate the rear lift glass release? Like the little electromechanical part inside the tail gate that hits the latch? Having to use the key every time is killing me.
Back to top Go down

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Try cleaning the contacts on the glass and see if it helps.
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 5:12 pm

The last owner cut the actuator out. I could probably hook it back up and see if it even works... but I have my doubts that someone would go through that effort if everything worked properly...
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 6:46 pm

ShamelessTR wrote:
The last owner cut the actuator out. I could probably hook it back up and see if it even works... but I have my doubts that someone would go through that effort if everything worked properly...

I'm guessing that is not true. The tailgate has all kinds of quirks, one of them is the linkage. I would definitely hook it back up, as that is never going to help you fix it. Other guys will pop with suggestions.

Tom
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Pretty sure from the look of the part that it was originally riveted in. To drill the rivets out for no reason is a bit of a hassle, but I suppose the problem could be elsewhere. Going to figure out where I stuck the actuator when I get home later. Probably in the little compartment back there. Have the opening handles zip tied in at this point... It'll hold for a minute or two. Ha.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 7:42 pm

ShamelessTR wrote:
Pretty sure from the look of the part that it was originally riveted in. To drill the rivets out for no reason is a bit of a hassle, but I suppose the problem could be elsewhere. Going to figure out where I stuck the actuator when I get home later. Probably in the little compartment back there. Have the opening handles zip tied in at this point... It'll hold for a minute or two. Ha.

That could be exactly the problem, many times on of those rivets breaks, it happened to me and many others.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:28 pm

The solenoid that releases the tailgate is what you need if it does  not work correctly. I would hook it up and test it. There are four things that might happen. It may work, it may actuate and not open the glass, it may be always "on", or it may not work at all. As for having it not hooked up, it may actuate all of the time. Check for ground (black wire) and battery voltage (other wire when you push the switch). The gate glass has nothing to do with the latch/popper circuit and opening it. There is a bracket that holds the popper that is noted for breaking occasionally, and then the popper actuates and does not actuate the latch. If the popper actuates when you push the button, but the glass does not open, it is probably the popper bracket. If that is so, you can either weld the bracket or replace the popper. There are two 7mm/TORX screws that hold the popper bracket to the latch assembly. I have also seen popper solenoid shafts corrode, and stick. It is possible to massage it with some WD40 and get it to work. You are going to be removing the tailgate interior to access the solenoid, but you do not have to remove the metal access panels on either side. If all else fails I keep some popper solenoids in stock for sale.
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Oh? Well I'd be interested in purchasing one either way. Not sure what I did with the one I found. The latch itself looked to be in good working order. I'm going to a yard tomorrow and I nay get lucky enough to find a wagon... I also need the rear wiper arm. Been looking for both for some time now.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:47 pm

When adjusting the solenoid's throwing motion, give it as little play in the mechanism before it strikes. You don't want it too tight, as it can't build up enough momentum to throw properly if it's binding against the linkage.
Back to top Go down
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Trip to the yard today was an extreme success. Still no idea what the part is called, but I snagged a whole latch assembly and used the two to part together a success. The gate works flawlessly now. Glad I just grabbed the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 8:05 pm

what yard did you go to and did they have a couple wagon? i want to hit a jy tomorrow to see if i can get the wiring for the pw ant. there is a post about my problem
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
ShamelessTR

ShamelessTR

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Harry's Upullit. They had one wagon, and one sedan. 94 and 96 I'm pretty sure. I snagged parts off both, but now I wish I had grabbed more.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 8:59 pm

thanks for info. was the wagon a caprice and do you know if it had blue interior. if not i know a jy in south nj that had a couple b bodies that i will hit unless harrys one has a blue gut then i will go there thanks again
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:10 pm

was that at hazleton
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The solenoid that releases the tailgate is what you need if it does  not work correctly. I would hook it up and test it. There are four things that might happen. It may work, it may actuate and not open the glass, it may be always "on", or it may not work at all.

I had the 4th option. I found the internal coil wire relied on being pinched by the case and all it needed was some solder. I documented my fix in this post on the Roadmaster forum. :
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Locating a part... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locating a part...   Locating a part... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locating a part...
Page 1 of 1