GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?

Go down 
+2
buickwagon
rhino
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rhino

rhino

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Empty
PostSubject: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Just want to know what is the best thing to do to reattach the black rubber molding to the chrome trim on my roady wagon? I am in the process of completely removing the pieces that are lifting and cleaning up the areas. Don't want to have to do it again in a month.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2014 2:12 pm

Back to top Go down
rhino

rhino

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2014 2:22 pm

I did find some 3m Auto Advanced super strength molding tape #03609 stage 2 at the local auto parts store. I will try it on 1 piece and see how it holds up. Thanx for the link Stingroo.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2014 6:02 pm

I tried the 3M stuff -- it still starts falling off after a winter of freeze/thaw cycles.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 12:00 am

Mark on the stainless where the rubber will go,. take a dremel and rough up the stainless, then rough up the rubber trim, and use windshield urathane ,. use masking tape to hold it in place for a few hours,.
it'll be permanent,..
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 12:27 am

I redid all the rubber on mine and used the 3M and it has held terrific! It should be done in warm weather when possible and a real key is to ensure all prior adhesive residue has been completely removed from the rubber for true adhesion. I had blisters and sore thumbs when I did mine. I laid them out to warm in the sun, soaked the old residue with goof off and rubbed away. Lots and lots of goof off.
Back to top Go down
rhino

rhino

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 5:57 am

I just did the left and right quarter panels and my thumbs and index fingers are pretty tender. I have been using a heat gun to warm the old adhesive and to warm the surface before reattaching. Also been using rubbing alcohol for cleaning the both surfaces. If this fails I will try phantom's idea.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 7:55 am

DO NO use the 3M tape, that's what the factory used, and you already know the results.

Like Nick sugested use windshield urathane, and then tape up the trim while it cures and it will never come off again

I've done this many times

just last week

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? 017_zps393b5248

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? 019_zps92629946

in 2008

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? DSC01075

did it to my 91 in 2007

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? DSC00015

and as you can see the urathane still held tight even if the stainless trim failed

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Wreck1009

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Wreck1006

the 3M tape fails for the same reason our headliners fail, it's the foam core that fails not the adhesive.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 9:55 am

Instead of retaping the shrunken trim, replace it with new lower profile trim all around. I did this to my RMW last spring and it looks a lot better than the old stuff.
https://sportwing.com/search.aspx?keyword=es138
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 11:18 am

buickestate wrote:
DO NO use the 3M tape, that's what the factory used, and you already know the results.

Like Nick sugested use windshield urathane, and then tape up the trim while it cures and it will never come off again

I've done this many times

just last week

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? 017_zps393b5248

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? 019_zps92629946

in 2008

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? DSC01075

did it to my 91 in 2007

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? DSC00015

and as you can see the urathane still held tight even if the stainless trim failed

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Wreck1009

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Wreck1006

the 3M tape fails for the same reason our headliners fail, it's the foam core that fails not the adhesive.

Pat,I dont know about you but I still get a little rattled when I see the remains of your wagon and I am glad you were driving it and not some small import!
Back to top Go down
rhino

rhino

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Windshield urethane is a great idea. Thanx. I have two pieces to reattach and wiil use the urethane. I hope everyone was ok in that accident. That looks pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?   A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A good 2 side tape or adhesive? or?
Page 1 of 1