GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...

Go down 
+3
Sprocket
Fred Kiehl
86Knives
7 posters
AuthorMessage
86Knives

TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Empty
PostSubject: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:00 pm

I want to remove all the stock plastic on the top of my motor and put a chrome air cleaner onto the TBI. Will there be any problems just switching it out? Or do I need to make other modifications?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:11 pm

You'll need a bent stud from a 4.9L Cadillac at the junkyard (or order a new one from Jegs or Summit), and you'll have to tap a hole in the bottom for the intake air temp sensor. Then, put a breather filter on your PS valve cover (or tap another hole for that piece of hose.

Otherwise, nah.
Back to top Go down
86Knives

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Awesome. I think I'll save up my pennies and modify. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 9:04 am

You will also need the bolts from the caddy TBI to get rid of the long studs that hold the toaster. Consider looking into the cold air Caddy hat/Home Depot/Lowes intake. There are a couple of varieties of it, and if the vapor canister is in the way of the air filter, you can use a mount from a 94-96 to move it under the wheelhouse.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 8:00 pm

86,  I have a Caddy intake and said bent mount, you'll need a tube and cone filter give me a buzz if you wanna go that route.

Stock photo, not my actual

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Caddy, schmaddy.

To use a standard Chrome Air Cleaner, Spectre makes the required stud and the factory Throttle Body bolts are not an issue.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 1:45 pm

Looks nice
Back to top Go down
86Knives

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Now we're talking. Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Pay attention Stubby NoMods!!
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 1:19 pm

I read somewhere that deletion of the air cleaner surround tube results in a loss of HP and is a potential fire hazard when using a paper filter....The thread I was reading (I wish I could remember where) said our plastic snorkle filters are the second-best for HP....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...    TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TBI stock air intake switch to a custom air cleaner...
Page 1 of 1