GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
flapman

flapman

94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open Empty
PostSubject: 94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open   94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 3:27 pm

My car has a plastic drain cock in the left radiator tank. The drain cock seems to only rotate 1/4 turn and since it is plastic I don't want to overload and break it. Is there some trick to how these work? Does it just rotate or do you rotate it 1/4 turn then pull or push on it?
Back to top Go down
flapman

flapman

PostSubject: Re: 94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open   94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 4:10 pm

I went to the Impala SS forum and the recommendation there was to avoid using the drain cock at all. They said it is safer to loosen the lower radiator hose than to use the drain cock. The Buick shop manual is no help regarding how the drain cock opens. Still, I would like to know just how the drain cock is supposed to open even though I plan not to try opening it again after reading the Impala SS forums advice.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open   94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 8:08 pm

I believe you turn it clockwise and the screw goes into the radiator, and uncovers a hole in the screw. When it is tightened counter clockwise and presses a seal against the inner surface of the radiator.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: 94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open   94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2015 12:03 am

I would do as the SS guys advised and just remove the lower hose. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open   94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 8:35 am

bamalongroof wrote:
I would do as the SS guys advised and just remove the lower hose. Jeff

X2 coming from a guy who ripped out the pet cock of a brass radiator on his 79 Cutlass trying to do a PM fluid change....
cost of new hose if you accidentally screw it up vs. cost of new radiator.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open   94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

94 Roadmaster Estate drain cock won't open
Page 1 of 1