GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch

Go down 
+5
GN1220
toomanytoyz
BigBlackBeaSSt
silverfox103
Cadet57
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Hey,

I'm looking for the glass/latch popper that goes inside the tailgate for a '93 Caprice. Crovo suggested I look here. Anyone have on here at a decent price?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:39 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
This member may have one: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/parts-for-sale-f7/wagon-impala-fleetwood-parts-formerly-fred-s-stuff-t1122.htm

Tom C.

Thanks for the referral Tom. I think I have one, but I cannot dig it out until Saturday. Cadet57 please send me a picture so I can be sure it is the same......

Tim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
silverfox103 wrote:
This member may have one: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/parts-for-sale-f7/wagon-impala-fleetwood-parts-formerly-fred-s-stuff-t1122.htm

Tom C.

Thanks for the referral Tom. I think I have one, but I cannot dig it out until Saturday. Cadet57 please send me a picture so I can be sure it is the same......

Tim

Sure, I'll get one tomorrow (I also sent you an email per your parts thread, so you can ignore that or whichever works for you)
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:50 pm

He needs the whole assembly inside the gate. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:54 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

What he said Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:15 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

Thanks Bill........ I think I have it sitting in my shed. Saturday I will take it out and get a picture to be sure.............

Tim
Back to top Go down
GN1220

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 am

I have one, too, if you are still looking.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 4:25 pm

GN1220 wrote:
I have one, too, if you are still looking.

Thanks. Since BigBlackBeasst was first. I'll let him see if he has one first. But if not I'll consider yours. How much are you looking for?

Just for reference, this is the part I need:

Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch F41830ca
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Hmmm.

I really need to grab those from the wagons (4) at Pull A Part.
Back to top Go down
GN1220

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:36 pm

I wasn't trying to jump in line, just letting you know if he doesn't have one I do. Let me know if he locates one for you or not. If not we can work something out. Mike
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 12:05 pm

GN1220 wrote:
I wasn't trying to jump in line, just letting you know if he doesn't have one I do. Let me know if he locates one for you or not. If not we can work something out. Mike

No no. My apologies. I wasn't trying to imply you were. Id be happy to work out something with either of ya.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 8:43 pm

You cutter in line-er... Razz
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:43 pm

It looks like he only needs the soleniod. The bracket on the solenoid that attaches it to the latch assembly appears to be broken, but I can not see any other damage.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:48 pm

I know I have the solenoid. If that is all you need I have it at the house. I do not have the whole assembly.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 10:09 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
I know I have the solenoid. If that is all you need I have it at the house. I do not have the whole assembly.

Tim

The solenoid is the actual "popper" right? Crovo was helping me with it last weekend but we just could not get the solenoid to work on the assembly.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Tim

The solenoid is the actual "popper" right? Crovo was helping me with it last weekend but we just could not get the solenoid to work on the assembly.

Yes, the solenoid is the popper. Replace the soleniod with a good one, and it should work the latch.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Tim

Yes, the solenoid is the popper. Replace the soleniod with a good one, and it should work the latch.

I'm not entirely sure. But I think its the solenoid and the actual latch as it was all gummed up and the plastics were iffy. Then again I could be wrong an it really is just the solenoid... I don't want to buy one but need both, know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 pm

The bracket for the soleniod is broken...I can see it in the pic. That would be enough to make the unit not work, because it misaligns the solenoid. If you clean the rest of it, I believe it will work. If someone has a soleniod, you should try it first. The plastic part is the glass interlock push button switch (outside push button/lock) to the left of the soleniod in the pic. If the soleniod works, but does not activate the latch, the switch is good. If you could open the window and gate with the key, the latch itself is good. There are a couple of wire clips in the slots of the mechanism that break readily. You may have to get a couple of them if they are broken.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 6:35 am

Well all the wiring works as the interior switch activates the solenoid. I can also use the key to open the door.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:44 am

Cadet57 wrote:
Well all the wiring works as the interior switch activates the solenoid. I can also use the key to open the door.

Mine was broken for a long time. I could pop the window via the interior switch, but the rear button would not work. There is a plastic sensor/switch in the tailgate on the passenger side. It has a little lever arm that is spring loaded. The spring goes away and it no longer works. I just fixed mine!!

Reach your hand in and see if it has spring tension.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 am

Cadet57 wrote:
So change the soleniod and it should work. Like I mentioned before, the bracket for the soleniod is broken, and that is enough to make it not work, because the soleniod is not aligned properly.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:49 am

I'm not at home but I do know the button does not work. Ill have to look for that spring...
Back to top Go down
GN1220

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 pm

I have the complete unit, as pictured on the first page, removed from the gate on my car when it was replaced. It was working up until it was pulled from the gate before it went to the scrapper.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 5:43 pm

I didn't read all the responses, but he needs the whole assembly. Yes, the bracket for the solenoid is broken, but the arm that the solenoid "pulls" is also worn to the point where I would replace the whole unit.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 7:10 pm

Before you install it....

Make sure you lubricate the whole thing well, particularly the solenoid piston. The little lever gizmo with the hole in it, at the top of the picture (throwing the shadow with the hole) has a little finger on it reaching through to the other side of the mounting plate.

Look for signs of where it's been rubbing on either side of the plate that it swings on. It has a tendency to hang up due to that rubbing. Tweak it so it doesn't rub anymore.

Additionally , the piston can be adjusted so that it DOESN'T start it's travel by ALREADY being in contact with the lever. Give it a little gap ,1/16" or so. That way, it is in motion BEFORE it slaps the lever. The lack of physical resistance during that first head start of 1/16" travel will help a good solid throw to occur every time.

Been there, did that... to cure a very balky, inconsistent mechanism. Works like a champ now.
Back to top Go down
jusntime

jusntime

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 6:20 pm

I need a solenoid for my 95 RMW.
Were both mentioned in this chat sold?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch   Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Tailgate popper/latch
Page 1 of 1