HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tailgate Hinge/Latch mount tearing??? Little Help?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
81X11

PostSubject: Tailgate Hinge/Latch mount tearing??? Little Help?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:44 pm

This is....frustrating. One of the screws on the lower latch of my '96 Roadmaster's tailgate is....tearing. I don't often sit on the tailgate or put weight on it, and it doesn't sag...so why? WHY? I'm thinking of backing out the screw, painting a washer body color, and mounting it there. Any other wagon folks have this happen?

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Hinge/Latch mount tearing??? Little Help?   Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:34 pm

I have never see one like that. I would put the washer on it. I believe it is caused by misalignment of the striker and latch. Raising that side of the gate a little would remove the stress. You can loosen the right upper hinge/latch from the body, and move/jack the gate up a little. Fully tighten the nuts when the gate closes smoothly. The bearing surfaces wear over time, and can cause the gate to drop on that end. Continued slamming of the gate can cause the latch/hinge to stress the metal of the gate.
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Hinge/Latch mount tearing??? Little Help?   Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I have never see one like that. I would put the washer on it. I believe it is caused by misalignment of the striker and latch. Raising that side of the gate a little would remove the stress. You can loosen the right upper hinge/latch from the body, and move/jack the gate up a little. Fully tighten the nuts when the gate closes smoothly. The bearing surfaces wear over time, and can cause the gate to drop on that end. Continued slamming of the gate can cause the latch/hinge to stress the metal of the gate.

Thanks. I'll be playing with this.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Hinge/Latch mount tearing??? Little Help?   

Back to top Go down

Tailgate Hinge/Latch mount tearing??? Little Help?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1