GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Digging up old gold...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Andebe

Andebe

Digging up old gold... Empty
PostSubject: Digging up old gold...   Digging up old gold... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 2:38 pm

I drive a 1991 OCC and would like to upgrade to the larger mirrors. Cost wise which is the cheaper/less hassle route? Swapping doors or buying after market mirrors. Can you even buy everthing you need to make the swap? Mirror only wise that is. Thanks in advance,Andy...
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Digging up old gold...   Digging up old gold... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 2:40 pm

FYI, Ebay has a pair of aftermarket mirrors for $110 with free shipping.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Digging up old gold...   Digging up old gold... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Well.... thinking about it, here's what I say:

Keep your doors and mod/paint them.

You're going to have to weld the hole shut from where the original mirror mounted on the door skin itself.

You need the window frame chrome trim from a 95-96 car. No problem. Plenty of junkyards out there.

The mirrors plug into the same spot (been there, done that).

However, if you get a 95-6 door set... you'll need to paint them 99.999% sure, and then you'd still need to find a way to mount the cladding to it, which is going to take just as much work (if not more) to modify that door than it would to mod over the small mirror hole.

I'd get some junkyard OE mirrors before eBay aftermarkets, too. Cheaper, and again - you're still going to need to paint them no matter what.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Digging up old gold...   Digging up old gold... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 4:51 pm

Is the door glass different?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Digging up old gold...   Digging up old gold... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Nope. Just the trim around it. The chrome trim on the outside is what you need.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Digging up old gold...   Digging up old gold... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Good luck finding good mirrors in the yard. Maybe it's different in Florida but in Kentucky it was impossible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Digging up old gold...   Digging up old gold... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 pm

I dunno. I got lucky. Found good doors with good mirrors.

They actually came from probably one of the last-ever B-bodies. Build date on the sticker said 12/96.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digging up old gold...   Digging up old gold... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Digging up old gold...
Page 1 of 1