GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Annoying Electrical Gremlin....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Annoying Electrical Gremlin.... Empty
PostSubject: Annoying Electrical Gremlin....   Annoying Electrical Gremlin.... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 8:12 pm

I have an interesting electrical gremlin that has appeared and I can't figure it out and its driving me NUTS. Heres the deal, the other day I got in the car and turned the key to on. Radio makes a buzzing noise and car doesnt chime. I open glove box, a very faint chime, close glovebox chime goes away. So I checked fuses, the cluster fuse was blown, replace with new one. Chime, and radio work, open glove box again, radio goes off, and chime dims. Rise and repeat. Also while this is going on, both fuses on my CB blew- it was plugged into the cig outlet... Help? Please? We had the passenger said kickpanel off if that helps while looking for a stalling issue if that helps.
Back to top Go down
bigoldv8

PostSubject: Re: Annoying Electrical Gremlin....   Annoying Electrical Gremlin.... Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 11:30 am

Bear with me, I don't even own one of these cars right now....

Does the glove box have a light in it? My guess is that you've got a bad ground somewhere in the vicinity of the glove box & that kick panel you had removed. Bad grounds will wreak all sorts of havoc in the car. Things that seemingly aren't on the same circuit will suddenly be impacted as another device will try to get to ground through them. This can blow fuses, and it definitely results in dim lights, quiet buzzers, strange radio behavior,etc. If the glove box opening consistently causes the problem I would suspect the glove box light ground, or a ground wire very near the glove box that is being disturbed by it.

The other possibility is what Brokecello had recently, which was apparently a pinched wire in the bundle under the dash on the pass. side. The wipers in his OCC were not working and we traced it to the green wire. It was in tact everywhere we could see it (without taking the dash apart) but it was shorted to ground. It got pinched in the pass. side somehow during a previous repair - probably has a screw going through it or something like that.

I suspect bad ground though - that's really what the symptoms point to.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Annoying Electrical Gremlin....   Annoying Electrical Gremlin.... Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 12:12 pm

When we were looking for it this weekend, the light in the glovebox was flickering and the fillament was orange. The same with the light in the ash tray. All I really have to go on sadly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Annoying Electrical Gremlin....   Annoying Electrical Gremlin.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Annoying Electrical Gremlin....
Page 1 of 1