GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I AM a very fortunate fellow.

Go down 
+5
Deadmanonduty
phantom 309
Sprocket
MalibuSSwagon
pagroundhog
9 posters
AuthorMessage
pagroundhog

I AM a very fortunate fellow. Empty
PostSubject: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 3:02 pm

I am about to become the second owner of a 1996 RMW Collectors Edition with 24,00 miles. This Adriatic Blue beaty was my brother's mother-in-law's car It,s sole purpose in life was to transport her beloved Labs between her home and her summer home at the Jersey shore. I kid you not.
Iam aware that some of you will scream sacrailege, but I intend to use her as a daily driver for myself and my precious rescued Golden Retriever, Lydia. The lucky vehicle was garage kept it's entire life, saw snow on rare occasions (Christmas in Cape May) and is dusty for non use for the last 5 years (duties falling to a Ford Flex AWD)
The only thing I would have hoped for is V92 and G80 codes . I will try it one winter in the south central Pennsylvania weather and go from there. I have survived these winters in Volvo and Mercedes wagons with Nokians so I have expeerience in these conditions. I will probably drive Tim (Big Black Beast0 to distraction with question so this is a warning.
I was raised in and on wagons, took my drivers test in a Country Squire. I've owned a 67 Lemans (165K mi), an 85 MB 300TD (520K mi), a 92 960 Volvo (175K mi) and a 02 MB 320 Sportwagon (to few mile, to much aggrivation). An Aston Martin could pass me on the road and unless it was a Shooting Brake, i wouldn't pay it much mind.
So I'm ready for a new adventure with the last and best (big shows to fill after the 85 Benz), of my waon train....bury me in this one.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 6:29 pm

I am all for driving these cars, my Custom Cruiser was my year round DD for the past two years, and even with the cheapo all season touring tires it was a beast in the snow. I have since retired it from DD duties and got a Caprice 9C1 to keep the wagon inside and nice. Winter is very hard on these cars, they were not rust-proofed well from the factory (the floorpans were left in primer!) so I would suggest a good application of Fluid Film to keep the salt monster away. Anyways enjoy your wagon and don't forget to share some pictures!

However you could likely get a pretty penny for the wagon on eBay if its a pristine low mileage car.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 6:56 pm

I've been using one for a DD since 2007, although I'm back to my second daily after 4 others in between
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 9:28 pm

with 24,000 miles,. it might be prudent to keep it as a garage queen,. and look for a suitable battle scarred wagon winter beater,..
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 10:58 pm

with 24,000 miles you could sell it and buy 3 wagons suitable to drive in the winter and let someone do it justice and save it from the salt! I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but seriously guys would give their left nut for a low mile wagon like this, please consider keeping it out of the salt somehow…..
Back to top Go down
pagroundhog

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 12:44 am

Well since being ignominiously retired over 5 years ago, and unable to find a job, I have lost everything. While watching retirement go down the toilet I've sold a rare Laverda Jota, my tried and true Moto Guzzi Lemans,the Benz and my house. While waiting to collect retirement, I acquired an 87 Dodge B150 (Slanter) and was resigned to "living down by the river in a van", until my brother help with the purchase of a mobile home and now the RMW. At 67 with a bad back and gimpy legs the van has to go (I'm gifting it to a very deserving family). I have gone through all the options and I have come to the conclusion that I will keep it. First order of business is a thorough eval of it's salt fighting status (It does have Ziebart plugs) and check for adequate drainage all weather stripping appear pristine. Just need to attend to Fluid replacements, electrical connectors and tires. lights are another issue but I have that covered wit the Cibies off the Laverda so I can keep an eye out for Keystone Kangeroos.Believe me when I say I
know what I'm getting and will show it the respect and care it deserves.
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 8:34 am

Sorry to hear about the cards that life has dealt you. From the tone of your post you seem to have a good sense of humor so my hats off to you. As some of the others have pointed out, you may wish to advertise your low mileage garage queen on ebay. You stand the opportunity to put some cash in your pockets and pass the car onto someone who will preserve it. You could then use some of those dollars to find yourself a nice clean southern example with slightly higher mileage. (Personally I would rather a car that has been used regularly as a daily driver over one that has sat. Sometimes pressing these cars into service after a life of slumber can be costly). If you do elect to drive it...get it well undercoated. Pay particular attention to the body mounts, the spare tire compartment, the front inner fenders or wheel houses and the bottoms of the B pillars. Have whatever rust proofing company you use absolutely coat your floor pans with their product. While your changing all the fluids make sure to have your cooling system flushed and enjoy your new Wagon. We all hope to see you at some of our events.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 8:38 am

In your financial situation, why not take the $$$$$ out of the wagon and buy a cheap wagon?

Do you realize what that car Might sell for? There were just some that sold incredibly hi, like $15,000 if I'm not mistaken…?

You can buy a solid wagon for $4,000 and keep the $10K+ in your pocket for a rainy day! It just seems in your situation that $10K might be helpful!
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 9:48 am

I would drive that baby, it's what they were designed for. You might encounter a few leaking seals and gaskets when converting her to daily driver status considering the low mileage.

Just my $0.02 Wink
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 11:13 am

Just drive it. Probably the last car you'll need. Don't worry about the tow package. Just save up for a set of 3.42 gears and an eaton truetrac diff.

I'd recommend an oil based rust-proofing vs the waxy stuff like ziebart.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 12:31 pm

I vote sell and pocket some cash...
Back to top Go down
pagroundhog

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Putting this beauty back to it's intended service, and  it's preservation,  are not contradictory goals.  I appreciate all the advise and will be consulting this forum and other for more.  My current tasks as I see it are  as follows:
Flush cooling system with Non-silicate coolant.
Bleed an flush brakes
Extensive rustproofing with attention to drainage
Battery replacement.
Dielectric grease to all accessible sockets and connectors
Replace tires (235/70 15 Destination ATs)
Improve forward lighting !
Oil change Petroleum based initially with Mann/Hecht, Wix or Napa Gold filter wit leak assessment to follow

Eventually
Diff change out ( 3.08 with locker probably Tru Trac)
PCM flash for engine and trans.

Should anyone have any further suggestion please feel free to PM me.

Thanks, Ed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I AM a very fortunate fellow.   I AM a very fortunate fellow. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I AM a very fortunate fellow.
Page 1 of 1