GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rear disc conversion Q's

Go down 
+4
lakeffect
MalibuSSwagon
Andebe
redcaddy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
redcaddy

redcaddy

rear disc conversion Q's Empty
PostSubject: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 9:06 pm

What is the best donor for a rear drum to disc conversion on my '89 Buick Estate wagon?
Seems to me this ought to be a bolt on deal, is it?

4 wheel disc on a tow rig is money in the bank...

Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 10:48 am

Why not run the 91C or Impala SS set up?
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Drums are fine just make sure everything is working.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Other s report the wagon axle is 3" wider.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 4:30 pm

try googling disc brake conversion for 1995 caprice wagon

Last edited by phantom 309 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 7:45 pm

Uses LMGTFY. Makes a useless search. Trolling done wrong.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 10:15 am

the rear being shorter than the 9c1 is not the problem. the problem is the wagon s axle bearings are bigger than the 9c1. the bolt pattern on the backing plates is different. u should look up tim bigblackbeasst he just did this. you could also swap the whole rear and put in the 9c1 rear. it will be shorter remember. there are post on doing tis also
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Well, to the five of you who responded, to my obviously ill conceived question, thanks for the relevant input. Obviously, the proper solution is to cut down a Ford 9 inch housing, order new axles drilled with required bolt pattern, fit the big housing ends and brackets and redrill the discs. I guess I don't want rear D/B that bad.

I guess those of us who are not master mechanics or web masters will have to refrain from bothering the all knowing, I know I will.

I'm off to take some troll lessons, so I can do this correctly.
Paul
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 6:15 pm

redcaddy wrote:
Obviously, the proper solution is to cut down a Ford 9 inch housing, order new axles drilled with required bolt pattern, fit the big housing ends and brackets and redrill the discs. I guess I don't want rear D/B that bad.
Paul

Well if its the obvious solution,.. why ask,..? and hardly a bolt ftom a donor,.

When i did my rear disc conversion on my T56 wagon,i redrilled 9c1 backing plates,. and used the factory parking brake shoe,.
but its only in 7/8ths of the way,.

I also used C5 rotors,.and calipers,.

But seeing as i like to fab stuff up,.. it worked for me,..

The next one i do will not have a parking brake,. i will use C5 rotors, and C3 calipers,. i built one like that for a friend and it works very well,.

I don't like the spongy pedal with the C5 caliper,..

I think bill harper sells a wagon rear disc kit,. with a split spacer to make things work,.
As was mentioned see big black beasst's recent conversion,.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:15 am

With any question I have, I first do research. In this golden age of the internet, an answer is a google search away. Being as people have been modding these cars since they rolled off the lot, most of the mods have been done and documented over and over again.

There may not be alot of info out there on boxies, but keep in mind the frame and suspension is the same from 77-96, save for some changes on 94-96 cars to accommodate the lt1, mostly a notch for the AC compressor. Besides that its all the same.

See here -> http://www.goldsswagon.com/WagonDiscs/WagonDiscs.htm
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:11 am

Redcaddy,I dont believe any "tone"was implied to any of the answers you received. Ask a Q. get an A. You will find most on here ready to help a fellow out.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 4:59 pm

I've only been on this board a little over a year, 99% of the reply's I've received have been on point, helpful and courteous. (some suffer fools more kindly than others)

I took one of the reply's above as a cheap shot. I answered it with a PM to the poster, Not to the board in general. My next post was, decidedly, out of bounds. (obvious solution...) for that I must apologize.

I'm a millwright, not a computer whiz, I'm sure there are 10 YO's out there with better computer skills than mine. I did not use a Google search, I searched on this board, and several other relatedboards, for year/model specific guidance.

My thanks for the help received is genuine, it was on point and specific. Now that the little tiff is over, I'll crawl back under my rock and keep banging on my longroof.

Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 10:47 am

Dont forget to post some pictures when you decide what route to go. Until then,bang away lol.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 1:48 am

Being a millwright sounds like you can fab up what you need and if you have a lift in your shop all the better.

I sit at my desk banging at a computer two weeks a month and travel two weeks the computer time doesn't feel like real work..... pushing ideas around reports and email no real action wonder how anything was accomplished before them...ha. Jeff
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 10:44 am

Yes, 35+ years in the trades allows me able to build pretty much whatever I need, but, my old school engineering training makes me loath to re invent the wheel at every turn. I tend to use "off the shelf" components and standard hardware whenever possible, saving the High zoot, one of a kind, unobtainium stuff for problems and situations that can't be done any other way.

As I said in my first post, I thought this would be a relatively easy, bolt on, upgrade. Obviously I was wrong. I was surprised when a search of the Hollander's interchange manual didn't turn up any likely suspects.

I'm beginning to think that Eric may very well be right, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Electric brakes, on a 2100 Lb trailer, behind a 4100 Lb tow rig= No problem. (I often use overkill as the minimum standard)

Thanks, Paul.

BTW: about the LMGTFY, I heard it here first.

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear disc conversion Q's   rear disc conversion Q's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rear disc conversion Q's
Page 1 of 1