GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front Hood Seal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Front Hood Seal Empty
PostSubject: Front Hood Seal   Front Hood Seal Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Greetings All-

Small odd question....I happened to notice the front hood seal that attaches to the hood appears to be cut off on the right side of my 94.  There are 2 unused holes beyond the rubber strip perhaps where the strip should continue.  I checked my 96 and it is the same, the rubber looks like it has been cut as the end is not even.

photo D35A7F0C-DE5D-4BEB-968D-52A6DEDC868A.jpg
In this photo you can see the 2 holes where the seal should continue.

So is this factory?  Was this an LT1 thing?  I cannot see what shorting the right sidè of the seal would be a benefit.  I have one I took off a 92 and it is full proper length.  I can't imagine it is just a coincidence that I got two wagons that had their seal chopped.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Front Hood Seal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Hood Seal   Front Hood Seal Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 8:22 am

From the accumulation of "dirt" on the hood, it looks like it was never there. The cut end is because the seal comes in a much longer piece, probably a roll. and all of them are cut from the longer length.

I have never thought to look for a difference, I have a 94-96 hood on my both my 91 and 92 OCCs. I can take a look at it later today, but I think they both have full width seals.
Back to top Go down
annapolis

Front Hood Seal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Hood Seal   Front Hood Seal Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 11:33 am

my 1994 is exactly the same, think it may have to do with helping air get into the air filter housing, which is direct below it.
Maybe an LT 1 thing
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Front Hood Seal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Hood Seal   Front Hood Seal Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 11:13 pm

I looked at another 94, and it is the same as yours, so it must be correct. The holes are left over from the LO3/5 series.
Back to top Go down
annapolis

Front Hood Seal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Hood Seal   Front Hood Seal Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 8:19 pm

the seal missing at that point would almost give a ram air effect to the air intake at road speed the hole on the factory air box, it is pretty well behind a lot other things, rad support etc, headlamp and such, at road speed I am sure with the seal missing at that point it would assist air getting into the oval fitting on the factory air filter housing. I certain can be wrong but if you look at all that is in the way or in front of the air box inlet for air to get in the air box / filter housing you may agree
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Front Hood Seal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Hood Seal   Front Hood Seal Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 am

That is sound thinking but the air coming in from the missing seal area would go over/past the inlet port. I am sure that is why the engineers did it, but it doesn't appear to meet the need. The air inlet mouth is before the hood seal.

Oh well, now we know!

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Front Hood Seal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Hood Seal   Front Hood Seal Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 8:30 am

The affect may be to raise the under hood pressure, so that the air from behind the headlight is not sucked into the engine compartment, effectively increasing the pressure at the front of the intake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front Hood Seal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Hood Seal   Front Hood Seal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Hood Seal
Page 1 of 1