GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

headliner Qs: seal front edge?, color match, insulation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
4lights

headliner Qs: seal front edge?, color match, insulation Empty
PostSubject: headliner Qs: seal front edge?, color match, insulation   headliner Qs: seal front edge?, color match, insulation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 pm

1. I want to move the decent headliner from our parts RMW to our good RMW, so I can take my time with cleaning off and replacing the fabric that has started to sag in the back and get threadbare at the doors.
I put the parts car's better dash pad, freshly washed, in place on the good car Saturday. By Sunday evening (no driving!), there were lots of tiny ex-foam particles sitting on the dash pad, even though there is no visible sag or wear at the front edge yet.
The headliner that I'm about to put there is in much better shape (despite double the mileage), but this snow may start at any moment.
While it's not yet installed, is there something I can use to seal the foam edge(s) without accelerating decay?

2. I'm about to go by Hancock Fabrics to get another sample of their blue headliner fabric, because I forgot if it's too light or too dark. It's actually on sale for $8/yd right now, which brings it in line with a vendor which I found in another headliner thread here (and have already lost) that has a plain 'blue' that's on the light end of OK-looking, and two other blues seemed way too dark. Even with their $8 or 5/$35 deal, shipping still gets it up to 'a bit much', though $50 isn't that bad compared to the effort involved.

I got a sample or two from 2 other fairly pricey online suppliers; one of them had me specify the car and color very specifically, and they pride themselves on having any and all 'OEM' fabrics, but all I can say for it is that it's blue and not red.
It looked like a good match to what I remembered the actual color to be, but then I held it up to the actual headliner in the car...

Of course one might tolerate a bit more with these colors since in our 96s, between doors, dash, ceiling and carpet, there are at least 4 shades of blue.

But I'd really like not having to do the visor because of the headliner clashing wiht them.
Does anybody know a source of a near-stock 94-96 blue headliner fabric that does not charge "restoration" prices?

3. On the ISSF, this was mentioned in a few Dynamat (etc.) threads:
"FrostKing closed cell duct insulation, was created to stick on HOT AIR DUCTS. I have had it on my Impala for over a year, in hot cali sun. Including underside of roof panel. No goop, or foul odor."

I found this at Lowe's and HD, for about $19 for a 1'x15' roll. It's R3, self-adhesive, and foil-covered.
Has anybody here made further experiences with this? In another post, somebody (same guy I assume) says something about the roof being much less hot now. I assume he means the ceiling from the inside, but this made me wonder: Doesn't the reflective foil coating, working as it does by reflecting infrared, keep heat from leaving the car as much as it keeps it from entering? In bright sunlight, is the heat coming through the glass so much (and the inside temperature so much higher than ambient) that the heat movement through the roof metal is actually outward rather than inward, and any roof insulation is a bad idea?

(Prize question: does it matter which side is up? I know it does for the plain vs. shiny side of aluminum foil in the oven; I'm told it does not matter for insulation and that the side towards the backing (foam) reflects as well as the exposed side. But then, reflective insulation probably hasn't been on the market long enough to separate hype from real-world results.)

Back to top Go down
4lights

headliner Qs: seal front edge?, color match, insulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: headliner Qs: seal front edge?, color match, insulation   headliner Qs: seal front edge?, color match, insulation Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:24 am

So, as I remembered, the Hancock blue does not match the headliner at all. A bit light might have worked, but this is way too dark, much darker than any of the shades of blue in the car including the carpet.
Even a medium to light grey (or even white), VW-style, would look better than this.
Is there a good match anywhere?
Back to top Go down

headliner Qs: seal front edge?, color match, insulation
Page 1 of 1