GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just finished installing the new Flowmasters

Go down 
+2
Deadmanonduty
Steve Smith
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Empty
PostSubject: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 7:32 pm

After some fabrication for extra length needed plus straight back fabbed up tail pipes I cranked over the Buick for the first time. I was a bit anxious as people had said the Flowmaster 40s were going to be loud. I wanted a throaty rumble, sort of like a Camaro SS or full size modern pick-up truck.

I kept the stock resonators so that the new mufflers wouldn't be overly loud.

Imagine my surprise to find that the cars actually a lot quieter than I expected or wanted Neutral Guess those resonators work better than I expected. Bummer. Still sounds nice but............

Live and learn.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 8:57 pm

Removing the mufflers altogether with the resonators sounds good too!

The stock cats keep it quiet anyway.
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 11:59 am

Hilda the RMW I sold Mike Davis had SC mufflers (swiss cheese). A long trip could leave the ears ringing but at idle she had the nicest lope like a real wild cam was in her. Every now and then when I see my cordless drill......
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Perhaps when it comes time to install the last two Flow 40s on the Caprice, I'll consider removing the resonators and replace with a straight section of pipe. Anyone do this? If so, how loud does it get?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Steve Smith wrote:
Perhaps when it comes time to install the last two Flow 40s on the Caprice, I'll consider removing the resonators and replace with a straight section of pipe. Anyone do this? If so, how loud does it get?

doesn't make much difference,.

muffler delete for the win,..
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 am

Steve Smith wrote:

It will drone and annoy the hell out of you on the highway.
Most people call them "drone masters"
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 9:37 am

It will drone and annoy the hell out of you on the highway.  
Most people call them "drone masters"   [/quote]

Almost never gets use on a highway, luckily. Still going to install on Caprice (which is all stock and WAY too quiet) after the body and paint work are finished. Already paid for the Flows,

Gutted cats and headers will make their way onto the Roady but not the Chevy. Think the Buick will be a bit louder then?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 10:10 am

Muffler delete for the win? With everything else in place?
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 11:20 am

Not sure they would pass PA inspection with no mufflers at all. Better too quiet than too loud I guess.

Last edited by Steve Smith on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 11:47 am

When in doubt cut it out!
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 9:02 am

steve u have heard mine i have 2.5'' pipes and no cats and no resonators, headers and flowmasters
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 1:08 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
steve u have heard mine i have 2.5'' pipes and no cats and no resonators, headers and flowmasters

Oh yeah, and from a passenger standpoint as well. Nice and throaty/muscular but not obnoxious. You also have an H pipe. How is your car audible wise on the highway?
Even though you went with a larger (2.5") diameter system, in your opinion, do you think when my headers and gutted cats are installed it'll increase the rumble/volume enough to achieve the sound I'm hoping for?
The level of sound with the Buick is just fine for my daily driven Chevy, but I was hoping for more with the Buick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just finished installing the new Flowmasters   Just finished installing the new Flowmasters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just finished installing the new Flowmasters
Page 1 of 1