GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finally put to use after 15 years

Go down 
+2
Cadet57
94X2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
94X2

94X2

Finally put to use after 15 years Empty
PostSubject: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Yesterday evening I noticed my right rear tire was slack. Seemed to be leaking on the bottom since the top looked ok. I dragged out the compressor and filled it back up. Evidently the bottom sprung a big leak overnight because this morning it was flat again. (Only the bottom, of course. Strange...). I had no other choice than to use this. I am pretty certian that this is the spare that came with the car in 95. Looking at it I don't believe the rim had ever been bolted on or the tire on the ground. I did clean the blue off the whitewalls - letters? I don't even think these tires are available any more. I don't know about the original owner but 15 years of never using the spare seems pretty good!

Jon

Finally put to use after 15 years Photo-0033-1
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Surprised its not dry rotted. I took mine out when I bought the car, tire is garbage, all dry rotted and starting to crack.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm

This one is surprisingly in good shape. I don't believe I'll be making any extended trips or high speed runs with it but at least it will get me by till I can get some new tires.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Wow! That does look like the factory tire...I have only seen a set in person once though. (on Fred's old WB4)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 8:03 pm

I found a perfect and unused spare in the trunk of a 95 sedan at the junkyard. Really should have bought it because it was a factory aluminum wheel and it all looked brand new.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

94Woody wrote:
I found a perfect and unused spare in the trunk of a 95 sedan at the junkyard. Really should have bought it because it was a factory aluminum wheel and it all looked brand new.

yeah I passed on a mint alum. factory wheel at the JY and have kicked myself ever since (was 15 bucks).

I have an original spare in my 94 caprice but it doesn't have those raised letters on it.....
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 11:08 pm

The ones in my wagons are all very well used. Complete with brake dust on the rims. I am proud to say though the donut spare in my 87 lesabre has never been used, still has the markings on the treads! Not bad for a car my family bought brand new.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 12:00 am

I had an 89 Trans Am that still had the original "Space Saver" spare tire. The one that comes flat and you have to use the little air can on it to inflate it once mounted. I hated having to actually use it but I was in Germany at the time and some one knifed my tire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally put to use after 15 years   Finally put to use after 15 years Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally put to use after 15 years
Page 1 of 1