GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rearend size

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
uawpipefitter

rearend size Empty
PostSubject: rearend size   rearend size Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 12:20 am

does anyone know what size ring gear is in a 1978 impala wagon
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

rearend size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearend size   rearend size Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 10:22 am

8.5" 28 spline center section.
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

rearend size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearend size   rearend size Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Rear end size?

"I like 'em round, and BIG!"

Sir Mix-a-Lot
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

rearend size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearend size   rearend size Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 10:34 am

jayoldschool wrote:

I do not think the 8.5" axle was used in the wagons. If I remember correctly the wagons used the 8.75 BOP axle. I know that was what was in my 78 Impala, and that is what is in my 78 Catalina Safari.

They have a 12 bolt ring gear (number of retaining bolts) and a 10 bolt cover. Most of the ones I have seen have the fill plug on the back of the rear cover, not cast into the center section where most GM axles have it. Not a 100% ID as the earlier 8.875 version of the same axle. (not to be confused with a true Chevy 12 Bolt axle that uses the same size but not interchangeable ring gear)
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

rearend size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearend size   rearend size Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 2:52 pm

A strong possibility, that's what's in my 81 Fleetwood, too!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

rearend size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearend size   rearend size Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 10:09 pm

cammerjeff wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:

I do not think the 8.5" axle was used in the wagons. If I remember correctly the wagons used the 8.75 BOP axle. I know that was what was in my 78 Impala, and that is what is in my 78 Catalina Safari.

They have a 12 bolt ring gear (number of retaining bolts) and a 10 bolt cover. Most of the ones I have seen have the fill plug on the back of the rear cover, not cast into the center section where most GM axles have it. Not a 100% ID as the earlier 8.875 version of the same axle. (not to be confused with a true Chevy 12 Bolt axle that uses the same size but not interchangeable ring gear)

as was mentioned its a 10 bolt 8.5" with 28 spline axles,same as 1/2 ton truck basically.
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

rearend size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearend size   rearend size Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 1:53 pm

My point was it is not a 8.5 axle but a 8.75 axle. Completely Different Axles.

I agree they were also used in light duty Trucks and B-Body Wagons and some Caddies of the same era. I have heard that they may also have been used in B-Body Buicks Sedans and 2-doors when the Towing package was installed. But I have not seen a Buick non wagon with one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rearend size Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearend size   rearend size Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rearend size
Page 1 of 1