GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What size tires?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
94X2

94X2

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 2:06 pm

I've been searching here and the other forum and haven't found any good answers. Does anybody know what size(s) tires on Impala rims will fit a wagon? I'm not as concerned about speedo being off as I am about fitment. I found these and have been e-mailing back and forth, going to try to see in person this weekend.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/1815813200.html

Thanks
Jon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 3:04 pm

The correct size is 255/50/17, but I'm told 235/55/17 is a good fit, easier to find, and cheaper too. The 235's are not as wide but end up being as tall as the 255's, so you don't get speedometer error.

I have 245/50/17s on my 96 Roadmaster wagon/Impala wheels. I don't like this size, they are too low profile. Would rather them be a little taller. Will be going with the 235 or 255 tires myself soon.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 4:00 pm

235 55 17s on my Caprice:

What size tires? HPIM1947

What size tires? HPIM1948

What size tires? HPIM1950
Back to top Go down

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Tire Rack   What size tires? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Evening Jon,Jim (Flasheroo) here and I definitely agree with the others.I went with 235/50 Continentals
on my wagon and at 26" they are way too short!I put them on a set of 17X8 BBS wheels made as an option
package for GM trucks.I think that 255/50 are on the edge of being too short for our wagons with stock
gearing.I am looking for size 255/55 to put on my wagon.
Go to the TireRack.com site and use it as a guide for tire heights and widths.Look for the same make and
model tire as dimensions vary widely even with the same numerical size.My problem is these tires are like
brand new but they affect the road rpms and driving characteristics on the interstate at 75 to 80 drastically.
My RPMs at 75mph went from 1900 to around 2400 and the torgue convertor doesnt seem to always want
to lock up at steady state cruising speeds.
You had better buy those wheels cause they look good for 300 dollars and they are getting harder to come
by unless you buy reproductions.
Good Luck and Take Care
Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the response. Unfortunately, the ss wheels didn't work out for me. After being out of work for a while and now depending on the car for a living, I felt my budget was better spent on new tires than trying to buy rims and tires. Didn't help matters that a tire came apart on my wifes wagon yesterday. I spent the day juggling cars and tires. I now have a set of tiger paw gts's on mine that I will NOT post a picture of because I think they look silly on stock wheels. Oh well, they ride good. Maybe someone will take pity on me and give me a set of cragars or something lol.

Jon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Jon head for the salvage yard and find a set of chrome Buick Road Wheels or the 80's style Estate Wagon aluminum wheels, which are also very sharp. If you have a big Pick-N-Pull or LKQ yard anywhere near you, they sell wheels for $25 each.

At least you have some new tires now. And honestly I like the factory Roadmaster mags you have. My car had a set of ugly 80's style LeSabre hubcaps on it when I bought it which is the main reason I got my Impala wheels. If I'd had the RM mags I might have just kept them.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 4:21 pm

I have been looking for Rallyes or the turbines. So far, no luck. LKQ here has got pathetic. They take the wheels off everything before they put them in the yard.

I thought I had a deal last week - a friend told me he had 2 sets of 15" 5x5 Rallyes I could have. They turned out to be 7 14x7's which no one seems to want. Oh well.

Trade you my stock wheels for your impala wheels Very Happy lol

Jon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Hmm. I'm lucky that I've got Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston all a few hours away. Tons of cars and lots of yards. I love yarding and there are lots of places to go.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. I had the turbines on my 89 Olds wagon and loved them, and have seen them in yards. Also still find the chrome wheels...look in the trunks!

Here's my garage queen. It's a 79 Limited with only 47,000 miles on it. Like the wheels?

What size tires? BensCars008

What size tires? BensCars013

Can't tell I like big GM cars can you. And to everyone, no it's not for sale. ; )
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 4:48 pm

When I bought the 96 RMW I put the 79 Limited up on jackstands and bolted its chrome Road Wheels on the wagon. They looked great, but found out the lug nuts are a different size. The chrome wheels looked pretty crummy with the base non-chrome Roadmaster acorn lugs I had to use. Ha!

I debated about getting a set of Road Wheels for the wagon, I love them on the 79, but found my used Impala wheels cheap at the big Pate swap meet in Ft Worth. That decided it.

Such fun!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:34 pm

That is one good looking car!

Jon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks. It only comes out on really nice days. It's not perfect but is very original. It's got the 6.6 403 in it. Smog motor but good low end....drinks gas like crazy.

It's actually longer than the Roadmaster wagon, ha!

I'm constantly getting offers to buy it, but I picture it ending up with the dash cut up for a big stereo or giant 30-inch wheels on it and I shudder and lock the garage door tightly......

Take care Jon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What size tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What size tires?   What size tires? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What size tires?
Page 1 of 1