GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana

Go down 
+2
81X11
Cosmos366
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmos366

Cosmos366

Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Empty
PostSubject: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 pm

I picked up my first longroof today! I've always loved wagons, all shapes and sizes. I have lurked around this site before, learning before buying.

So today a '92 Roadmaster wagon shows up on Craigslist, 15 miles from my house! This thing is really clean for an Indiana car, and the price was right!

So, without further ado,

Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Chuck11

This is the only picture I have so far. Looking forward to cleaning it up, fixing the few things that are wrong, and cruising!

Steve
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 7:03 am

Welcome and Congrats!    Lots of great folks and info here.   If you have any questions please ask, and have fun with the new toy!

Couple things, it looks like it's missing some of the black side trim on the mid-body chrome trim.   I just recently found a GREAT replacement.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dawn-13-8-Black-Universal-Half-Round-Molding-24-Roll-/192252799215?hash=item2cc328e8ef:g:tMAAAOSwacdZb7lk&vxp=mtr

For Google:
Manufacturer Part Number:
ES1382402-S

Also, for the trim that is peeling around your main wood, this is a really common issue!    You can have it re-wrapped, or other have take it off an stripped the wood and paint off, and polished it, which looks really good.

On my car I taped it all off, sanded it smooth, and painted all the trim with Satin Nutmeg spray paint, which is a great match to the actual main woodgrain.   You can find the Satin Nutmeg at Wal-Mart, Lowes, or Home Depot.   The brand I used was American Accents.

Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana 13051611
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana 13051610
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana 13095710
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana 13096310
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana 13077010
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana 13043710
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana 13096110
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana 13237710

You'll find LOTS of other tips and tricks here.  HAVE FUN!  

Oh and PS, I really like the C3 Vette in the background.  I had a '79 for YEARS and miss it.

Take Care!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 7:21 am

Welcome from a fellow Hoosier. Post up more pics when you can.
Back to top Go down
Yeahoo Whoyah

Yeahoo Whoyah

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Regarding the black side trim, any way to get something less than a 24' roll? I just need a short piece, for the section on the lower front fender.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos366

Cosmos366

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks for the advice 81X11. I'm considering a full re-wrap in a darker wood color. Like a red mahogany, or ebony.
Pulled "Chuck" into the garage today to start some service work, and clean up.
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Chuck110

I didn't really ask too many questions of the previous owner. He said his dad never drives anymore, so time to let it go. The oil change sticker in the windshield was dated 11-2010, and hasn't reached the mileage, less than 3K in 7 years! Time to get that oil out!

Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Chuck210
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Chuck310
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Chuck410

The interior is really in good shape!

Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Chuck510
Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Chuck610

A couple shots of the outside. Pretty clean. All of the rust seems to be on the surface, so not to hard to fix. I'm no body man, but I'm going to try and tackle these repairs myself.
I've been learning a lot from this forum, and others, about my "new" longroof.

If the pictures are too large, feel free to resize. I'm surprised I actually got them to show up.

Later,
Steve
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 5:47 am

Wow, that thing is CLEAN. Although it looks like some bubbling on the rear quarter..... Nice save and welcome to the club!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 7:13 am

White over red is a GREAT combination!! Nice!

Looking forward to seeing the progress!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 7:25 am

Love the red guts. Happy modding.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 am

Sprocket wrote:
Wow, that thing is CLEAN.  Although it looks like some bubbling on the rear quarter.....  Nice save and welcome to the club!

That is a beautiful interior!! As for the bubbling. There are either two or three drain holes for that lower quarter panel. You have to look on the inside real hard but they are there. I seldom clean mine out, but when I do, I use a small narrow plastic tie wrap. They work great. For a multiple of reason water gets in those areas causes issues. The easiest fix is to keep the drains clear. The other side has a drain in the spare tire well. Good idea to check that also.

Just noticed you have the start of rust on the D pillar driverside, by the rear tailgate. Adding the two, I'm guessing you have a leak on the roof rack.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana   Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hey everybody! New guy from Indiana
Page 1 of 1