GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New from Indiana!

Go down 
+7
94Woody
brokecello
Bewber
BigBlackBeaSSt
81X11
Nick Danger
draggingframe
11 posters
AuthorMessage
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 4:23 am

Hello everyone! I've been checking the forum out for awhile now, but thought I would finally register. To start off my name is Justin, I'm 21, and I have a 1992 Caprice that's white, with blue interior. It's my second wagon, and 4th B-Body.

I picked it up in Kentucky a couple weeks ago. I got it with a shaved tailgate, rollpan with plate box, SS grille (minus the bowtie), 2.5% tint all around, chrome lug nuts, and bullet caps on factory steel wheels. It has an a new Avital remote start/alarm with LCD keyfob, and the only rust on the car is 4-5 spots around the drivers front wheel well! (Will be fixed in a few days.) I drove it 6 hours home without a single problem.

Now the bad.. The guy I got it from was really big, and had broken the seat back, the seatbelt buckle (I have been using the middle one for now) trashed the steering column, and put a tan one in place of it. Speedo is off 10mph. He removed the third brakelight, he broke both headlight mounts, cut up the rear speaker covers to put in some 6x9's, I guess the wood grain dash trim was falling off so he screwed it back on, and actually painted small spots on the windows where tint has torn, or just never was there in the first place.

Within the last couple weeks the only thing I have managed to do is switch out the air filter, change the oil, shave the antenna, and the hood ornament. Looking for a seat, seatbelt buckle, column, and sometime soon stripping all the tint, and getting it redone professionally.

Sorry about writing a book! I'll have pictures on here once I can get out in the daylight, and snag a few good ones!
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:02 am

You call this a book?

You haven't met Texas Mike. Smile Welcome to the forums! Cool to see another person my age join.
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:34 am

Welcome to the madness Justin.What took you anyway?Sounds like you got a little work to do but nothing too severe.
Ecerything sounds like an easy fix except for the rust spots.Someone here can help you with the seats.A lot of the guys have gone to Bonny seats so maybe they can help you out with seat parts.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Here's the good stuff! I also forgot it has clear corners. I put my Alpine CDA-9886 in the car, along with two 12" Alpine Type-R's. Thanks for the warm welcome guys! The seat doesn't even bother me as much as the seatbelt buckle right now, but any help would be appreciated.

New from Indiana! IMG_20110327_170608

New from Indiana! IMG_20110327_170631

New from Indiana! IMG_20110327_170725

New from Indiana! IMG_20110327_170705

New from Indiana! IMG_20110327_170805
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
What took you anyway?

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean by that.
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Justin what I meant is that this is your second wagon and your 4th B-body and you are just now
finding us?Where have you been Justin??????
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Justin what I meant is that this is your second wagon and your 4th B-body and you are just now
finding us?Where have you been Justin??????
Take Care
Jim Gordon

Ohh my bad. I thought so, but I didn't want to answer it like that, and be wrong haha.

Yeah, I had a 95 Caprice sedan when I was 17 that was maroon outside, maroon leather interior, and had 62k miles. Got rid of that when out of nowhere I built up a hate for maroon/red.

Then got a 91 Caprice sedan that was purple outside, with horrible gray leather interior that a buddy traded me for an extra laptop I had laying around. When I got it, it didn't run.. he bought it wanting to fix it, and never did. I got under the car, and someone had tried running amp wires under the car, and kinked the gas line.

Then I got a hold of a 91 Roadmaster wagon for $100 with a "blown engine", and PERFECT tan leather.. a buddy of mine helped me tow it home with his 91 Caprice wagon, I changed the oil, drained the gas, put new in, put a battery in, and it fired up just fine. I only got rid of it because the body wasn't the best, and my sister in-law needed a good car to learn "big city" driving in, that could hold up to the abuse.

Now this '92 is here to stay, as it sits in the pictures I have right around $600 in it. I've had my fair share of cars, and "wheeling, and dealing" on craigslist. I've tried getting multiple B-Bodies, and my wife thought they were all ugly until I came across this one, and she loves it.

I honestly have no idea why I never found this place before, seems like a good group of guys, and there's a lot of info here that I could have used previously!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Stingroo wrote:
You call this a book?

You haven't met Texas Mike. Smile Welcome to the forums! Cool to see another person my age join.

Ha-Ha.. silent

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Welcome to the club! Looks like a really solid start! I like the shaved tailgate. Neat touch.

And yes I tend to ramble sometimes....shoot me.

-Mike
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Hey, at least I like your rambles. Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Ha! Thanks Bud!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:04 pm

That's alright bub, rambles are good time killers haha. Thanks again guys for the warm welcome!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Welcome...............
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Mikes ramblings=killing time=massive understatement!!You are in for a treat when Texas Mike goes
on one of his story times.Hey its all in good friendship.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 12:55 am

Haha, I have a good idea.. I read through the thread where he done the car-port, and gravel.

Also, I forgot to apologize earlier about the bad pictures.. once I get it cleaned up a little better, I will get some good pictures, and not cell phone pictures with shadows all over the car.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 am

Welcome aboard brah. Look forward to pics of your progress and seeing it this summer.
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 am

Progress will be a little slow, first priority is my wife's '96 Jetta. Hers is getting put on air, wheels, and then a repaint before I get heavy into the wagon.

I have a feeling I'm going to be on here very often though, with even the smallest updates! Haha.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 6:35 am

Welcome!! Smile I liked the shaved tailgate too (and antenna/hood ornament touch as well)

Looking forward to the updates!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 am

Stupid question, I know, but once you shaved the antenna, what did you do for a radio signal?
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Honestly, I didn't do anything.. I just use CD's, but they make antennas you can mount inside the windshield, under the dash, some people just turn the antenna sideways inside the fender even.

Where I live, I don't get any stations that I like anyway, so I didn't worry about it. Just in case you were thinking of shaving yours...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA200/Universal-Window-mount-Antenna.html?tp=3449
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Welcome...
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Welcome aboard, man! Smile Diggin the ride!

You gotta tell me how you were able to make bullet caps work on the stock steelies! Push through ones won't work and they don't make the bolt on ones in 5 on 5.... So... Spill it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Why don't they work? Maybe my steelies aren't factory, because they are the $30 ebay push through style. What are the sizes, and offset on your wheels on the RMW?
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Also, I need new tail lights.. can someone clue me in on the difference between RMW, Caprice, and OCC tails? And if there is any difference in the years?

Going to the junkyard at the beginning of next week, if anyone needs anything I can look!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:21 pm

On the tail lights, there IS a difference. It has to do with the black trim around the lights. Cappy is longest on the bottom, followed by the Buick and the OCC's are the shortest.....I think....

Point is, the bottom of the trim is different on all 3. Years are all the same within the models.
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Okay, I've wondered about this since I joined the site:

All of the trim is different lengths on the bottom, but logically, all of the openings on the back of the cars themselves are the same size. So say I found a perfect set of RMW tails - they would fit my car, but if I replaced one, they wouldn't match.

Right? So if I replace two, hardly anyone would know the difference? Or am I misinterpreting what you're saying?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm

The issue is the trim that goes around the body. ALL of the lights are the same, it's the bottom of the black trim that is different. The cappy has a small, thin strip around the body, so the light will have a larger gap to cover to meet that strip. The Buick has that damn HUGE assed stainless trim, so the gap would be smaller, and the OCC had that cladding that went almost all the way to the light, so the gap is smaller. Can you swap them out? Sure. Would anyone other than us notice? Nope. Just do both of them and call it that famous "GM fit and finish" Very Happy
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Ohhh.... I get it. I never thought about the chrome on the RMW's and what not.

I see. *makes note to get Caprice wagon tail light trim sometime, as one of his is cracked*
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:41 pm

I thought so. I knew RMW's were shorter, but I didn't know about the OCC, and I thought earlier cars the surround was a redish, and later they were black? Could be wrong, just trying to double check.

I was hoping the OCC was longer, because the roll pan is a perfect fit, but it doesn't meet up with the bottom of the lights very well. I was trying to take a shortcut, and cut the rollpan down to fit the light, not add to it.. oh well. Thanks!
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:42 pm

My 92 Caprice has black surrounds.
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:46 pm

I think mine are, but I tinted a set of tails on a '91 that looked black, and come to find out.. they were a dark reddish color. It wasn't noticeable until the lights were tinted though. Maybe only the '91's were reddish.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:58 pm

i am pretty positive that the roadmaster tails are the shortest then the caprice and the occ are the longest.
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 11:14 pm

I can never keep 'em straight. Like I said, I am not sure on which is longer and which is shorter, I just know that they are different and why.
Back to top Go down
draggingframe

draggingframe

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 am

Stingroo wrote:
*makes note to get Caprice wagon tail light trim sometime, as one of his is cracked*

Which one is cracked? Only my passenger side is cracked, if you need a drivers side.. I will send you mine for the price of shipping once I get replacements.
Back to top Go down

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 12:28 am

My passenger one is cracked too LOL

Thanks for the offer though man.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:46 pm

draggingframe wrote:

I was hoping the OCC was longer, because the roll pan is a perfect fit, but it doesn't meet up with the bottom of the lights very well. I was trying to take a shortcut, and cut the rollpan down to fit the light, not add to it.. oh well. Thanks!

The OCCs are the longest and sought after by the guys running roll pans. Good luck finding a set. They do pop up now and again.
I know the 91s have grey surround vs. black on the cappys and RMWs, not sure about the 92 OCC tails, they maybe black.

Oh and welcome aboard, nice start you got there.
Also on the back of the lights the OCC ones say OLDS, the Buicks say so and so do the Chevys. At least the OE ones do Smile

Sting, if you put RMW lights on yours they will have a bare midriff on 'em.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New from Indiana! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from Indiana!   New from Indiana! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New from Indiana!
Page 1 of 1