GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW

Go down 
+7
DBeaSSt
firewood
phantom 309
IMPALADAKID
92 Woody Wagon
lornejay1
JohnNC
11 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnNC

JohnNC

Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Empty
PostSubject: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi guys!

Wanted to introduce myself and my new ride, a white/woodie Roadmaster Wagon. It's awesome, scored it on ebay for the princely sum of $1,025. A bargain, I think. Has the usual issues, but I'll put them right in short order.

I have been lurking around here for a while, I have to say that this is a much more user-friendly site than that "other place" where I am afraid to ask any questions for fear of the Search Nazis.

I trailered the car back from Mass a couple of weeks ago, because it has no rear brakes due to a rusted out brake line (I live in Rhode Island). Took it to a local friendly shop, because I don't have a garage anymore. We are going to replace the front and rear brakes, put in new brake lines, axle seals, etc. Also we will do the entire front suspension, I think I have scored a set of SS springs for the front and we will put in all new Energy Suspension bushings. I think I'll be road ready after that.

I'm hitting a local junk yard tomorrow to get the components for a dual electric fan setup. (I have the tow package). I'm pretty excited, it's been a while since I had a project car. Also really grateful, my wife has been awesome about the whole thing.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you guys for an awesome site, and all the great info you have posted.

Thanks,

John
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 pm

hi John. pictures are always a big hit when posting so as well as freedom of speech be comfortable to show off too.

You are another guy I wish I knew this summer when I broke down in RI. It can't be that big that I was very far away.

Glad you are here, Lorne.
Back to top Go down
92 Woody Wagon

92 Woody Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 12:35 am

Ahoy, Welcome Aboard, newbie here too as of yesterday but not to that (other place)!

Lorne & Co, The National Corvair Club (Corsa) has a national member directory and if I didn't have it with me when I lost a fuel pump going through Indiana on the way to the convention in Chicago in 2001 I would have been totally, totally screwed.

I just called a member who works on Corvairs in Indiana & he drove out about 30 miles to me, he put one on in about 10 min. and brought a spare to keep with me. What he charged me was very minimal and was sure glad he was there to call.

Just A Thought cheers

Clark
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ClarkGriswold
JohnNC

JohnNC

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 5:17 am

Well, I just moved here in October, but if you break down here again give me a call, be glad to help. I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how. Also, today I will be bringing home my junkyard score, have to post that as well.

I know what you mean about the Corvair directory. I drove a Ural motorcycle from Indiana to North Carolina, would not even think about it without the red Rider's resource in my pocket.

John
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 7:44 am

JohnNC wrote:
Well, I just moved here in October, but if you break down here again give me a call, be glad to help. I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how. Also, today I will be bringing home my junkyard score, have to post that as well.

I know what you mean about the Corvair directory. I drove a Ural motorcycle from Indiana to North Carolina, would not even think about it without the red Rider's resource in my pocket.

John
Welcome aboard man. It seems you have found yourself a nice wagon to enjoy. And trust me, when you have a project of anything over $500, it is good to have the wife on your side.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 7:49 am

lornejay1 wrote:
hi John. pictures are always a big hit when posting so as well as freedom of speech be comfortable to show off too.

You are another guy I wish I knew this summer when I broke down in RI. It can't be that big that I was very far away.

Glad you are here, Lorne.
You had my number. Besides, you called me from a nascar race. I would have come to help you out Lorne. scratch
In New England, most of the states are so small anyways compared to the rest. It would have been a hop skip and a jump. albino
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 10:18 am

JohnNC wrote:
Hi guys!

I have been lurking around here for a while, I have to say that this is a much more user-friendly site than that "other place" where I am afraid to ask any questions for fear of the Search Nazis.
I think I have scored a set of SS springs for the front and we will put in all new Energy Suspension bushings. I think I'll be road ready after that.

John
That's funny,.but you do need to search on the SS springs for more info,.
Good luck to you with your new 'toy'

Nick
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 11:04 am

Bill are you kidding. 2 hrs and 36 minutes according to google from Concord to RI. That is nuts to expect someone to do for an alternator problem.

I got off on the wrong foot when the manager asked for my keys. I said there are none and said I drive that car,where do you want it.

Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Startyourengine

Ended up changing it in the parking lot with 3 mechanics watching from empty bays.

One guy wanders over and says you better disconnect your battery first. Way ahead of you I reply and show him the switch.

He was actually a good guy and we got talking and turns out he has a Fiero with a fre fity in it. Gotta love that.

when the car wouldn't show a charge after the swap he tested my connection at the alt to find that was the problem. I thanked him and gave him 20 bucks for his help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to seeing pics of your car, follow the link to learn how to post pics.
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/pictures-signature-testing-f11/how-to-post-pics-now-with-pics-t55.htm
Back to top Go down
firewood

firewood

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 3:18 pm

While you're replacng the lines, you might as well go stainless steel. The Earl's Kit for a sedan is cheap, and the pedal feel is considerably firmer. You will have two lines left over from a sedan kit, but you can usually pawn them off on someone with a sedan.

Welcome to the club!
Back to top Go down
JohnNC

JohnNC

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 4:50 am

Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW 1_rmw10

here's a pic I lifted from the ebay listing. Overall, pretty clean except for some New England undercarriage rust.

My junkyard trip went pretty well. I scored a dual electric fan setup with radiator; I had hoped to get a water pump to use for an electric water pump but no luck. i wanted to get all new control arms because mine are so crusty, but the ones in the junkyard were almost as bad. Guess I'll keep looking.

I picked up a master brake cylinder from the junkyard; I plan on having it powdercoated and then rebuilding it. I'll put the Earl's kit on then; thanks for the tip!

Can't wait to tear into this thing. Now that I have the picture thing figured out, I'll post some better ones.

John
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 6:30 am

Congrats on the WWW (White Woody Wagon)! And welcome aboard too! Looks clean. Blue interior? Sounds like you've got some nice updates/mods planned.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
okcderek

okcderek

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 10:37 am

Nice wagon. Like the wood. Welcome to the forums too......
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Very nice... Ever consider polishing the mastercylinder? I did it on my old GMC and it looked nice. Wasn't too hard either.
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
JohnNC

JohnNC

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 7:51 pm

I thought about polishing, but then I'd have to keep it up. I'm thinking I will pull the stuff most susceptible to corrosion, have it powder-coated once, and be done with it. Right now, I'm thinking the master brake cylinder, water pump, alternator, and a couple of brackets. Maybe add a little bit of color to the engine bay.

More good news, I ran the RPO codes today and turns out I have a Positraction rear end. Nice!

John
Back to top Go down
JohnNC

JohnNC

PostSubject: Check out the pristine underbody...   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 am

So clean, you can almost eat off of it:

Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Rear_l10

And the tank straps - what you don't see is the nylon webbing holding up the other side of the tank

Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Gas_ta10

The good news is, the front is just as immaculate.

On the mechanical side, we have replaced the brake lines, all new seals and bearings in the rear, new wheel cylinders, brake drums, and shoes, but it is incredibly ugly under there. I ordered a bunch of stuff from POR 15, so next week I will get her up on a lift and get to work on all the rust you see. I think I have a line on new straps for the tank, and with any luck the rest of it will be mostly cosmetic (fingers crossed).

The front is not quite as nasty, but bad enough. I've got a set of control arms coming, once they are here we will replace all the steering components and brakes.

I'll get some better pics up after I get her on the lift. I just shot these real quick while it was in the shop for the brake work.

John
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 6:31 am

I have certainly seen worse! Looks like you have a bit of a project there. Post progress pics! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
JohnNC

JohnNC

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 pm

A lot of you guys have some really nice-looking engine compartments, but how many of you are growing oak trees in your engine compartment? I didn't think so.

[img}Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Dscf2210
Back to top Go down
JohnNC

JohnNC

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:40 pm

I removed home plate today, and will probably do first base this weekend. I still need to get the brackets off the top of the engine.

I took the car to the car wash today to get rid of the crud, because it has basically been off the road for about a year. Well, after the undercarriage was sprayed, I developed a pretty significant miss in the engine. Note to self: keep water away from the engine compartment. It eventually cleared up, and is running well. I have noticed a light stutter right before downshifts, I'm going to keep an eye on it and hope it is due to old gas/old plugs/ etc.

Automatic climate control works well, I was toasty warm all day in 20 degree temps. And to top it all off, of course all the chicks were digging my pimp ride (OK, maybe I'm lyng a little bit).

My package of POR 15 arrived today; I'll post pics as I get work done.

John
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 11:58 am

Man, and I thought 3 years in Germany was rough on my car!

Note to self: Never buy a car north of North Carolina!
I am looking forward to seeing the POR-15 improvement.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 3:31 pm

We must have the same engine compartment decorator.
Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW 95roadmastersedan001-2
Back to top Go down
JohnNC

JohnNC

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 6:44 pm

Well, the good thing is that it won't take much effort to make a VAST improvement!

I got my shipment of POR 15 yesterday, I plan on getting started maybe Wednesday. It is really nasty in there! Just about anything that can tust, has rusted. Next time I get down south I'm going to hit a junkyard for brackets, fasteners, etc that aren't totally corroded.

I'll post a pic as soon as I get some elbow grease action going.

John
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Congrats on the new ride, looks great on top. I cannot stand how bad these cars can rust out. Long as your floors are still solid it should be easy to remedy. Underhood was just as bad on my wagon, looks like it drove on only gravel roads the last ten years. Most all of it washed right off though.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi John

Have you started to POR 15 the underside of the wagon. I know we would like to see some pictures when you're done. I'll betcha most of that will clean up.

John, been trying to make heads or tails of your red circle/triangle. Could you explain it to me.

thanks

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 7:00 am

The avatar looks like some sort of U.S. Army logo.

I am also looking forward to seeing the POR 15 treatment and the durability of it.

Like you said anything will be an improvement.
Back to top Go down
JohnNC

JohnNC

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Well, so far no progress on the POR-15 undercarriage. I took it to the garage I use on the Navy base, they wouldn't let me brush on the POR 15 without a material data safety sheet. I'm going to have to wait for warm weather and do it in the driveway. So, all I managed to do was acquire a set of tank hardware and coat it. I'm planning on putting it on tomorrow, with any luck, and I'll get some photos up. I've made a little bit of progress in the engine compartment, I'll get some of that, too.

Thanks for the interest!

John
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi John

An MSD safety sheet is real easy to get, no big deal. There should be a manufacturers phone # on the can. Call them up and tell them you need a copy. They can either fax and email it to you.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW   Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie, proud owner of '94 RMW
Page 1 of 1