HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roofrack questions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Roofrack questions Empty
PostSubject: Roofrack questions   Roofrack questions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 12:43 am

Hello friends,

The roofrack of my '91 Chevy Caprice still looks very nice but with some force I can move the two cross bars forwards and backwards. Is this normal? I always thought that once they're locked they're fixed and cannot be moved. Does this mean that my crossbars are broken?

I have two spare cross bars, so I can swap them. Is that an easy job? I've tried to pull one out and I couldn't get them out. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Roofrack questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roofrack questions   Roofrack questions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 7:49 am

Do yours have the flip lock, or the nuts to tighten them? With enough force you may be able to move them. The rails are smooth, and so are the clamps. The nut style may get better clamping force than the flip locks.
Back to top Go down
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Roofrack questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roofrack questions   Roofrack questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 am

Hi Fred,
I believe I've the flip lock. I can push a clip and than I can move the crossbars. They cann't get out of the rails but I wasn't sure if it's allright that you can move them with some force.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Roofrack questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roofrack questions   Roofrack questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 7:29 am

The flip lock can only hold the bar to a certain point. Enough force should be able to move it slightly.

To remove the crossbar from the rails, you must remove the rail end at the rear of the rail, and slide it out in that area.
Back to top Go down
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Roofrack questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roofrack questions   Roofrack questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Ok Fred, thanks. I think the crossbars will hold the load.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Roofrack questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roofrack questions   Roofrack questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 pm

The rail end that must be removed from the Caprice is in the front, not the rear...my mistake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roofrack questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roofrack questions   Roofrack questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roofrack questions
Page 1 of 1