GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jbracciante

Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes   Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 9:54 pm

I recently had the Powermaster Brakes fail on my 86 Caprice Wagon. (which was terrifying!) I used a conversion kit sold by Karp's Brake Service to switch to regular brakes since they no longer sell the pump that failed on my Powermaster and was very pleased with results. Thought I'd share.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes   Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 9:25 am

jbracciante wrote:
I recently had the Powermaster Brakes fail on my 86 Caprice Wagon. (which was terrifying!) I used a conversion kit sold by Karp's Brake Service to switch to regular brakes since they no longer sell the pump that failed on my Powermaster and was very pleased with results. Thought I'd share.

Powermaster? Is that a hydroboost system like the Buick Grand National used? Interesting.
Back to top Go down
jbracciante

PostSubject: Re: Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes   Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 10:58 am

Yup exact same system as the Grand National, it was also an option on 86 and 87 B-body wagons for some reason.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes   Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 11:02 am

jbracciante wrote:
Yup exact same system as the Grand National, it was also an option on 86 and 87 B-body wagons for some reason.

I'm surprised with all the Grand National love that the parts are not reproduced. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
jbracciante

PostSubject: Re: Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes   Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 12:17 pm

There are some Grand National boutiques that rebuild the ENTIRE Powermaster brake system, but individual parts are no longer produced. The cost for a rebuild is steep (About $850 plus a core charge) while the conversions kit sold by Karp's is around $400 shipped. You can sell a broken Powermaster system for around $150 (which is what I'm doing with mine) to the Grand National fanatics who insist on keeping everything original.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes   Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replace Powemaster Brakes with Regular Brakes
Page 1 of 1