GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HVAC controls worked until they didn't...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Oscar73

HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Empty
PostSubject: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 am

Bought this 1994 RMW last August, HVAC controls seemed to be functioning normally. Had problems with starting, discovered finally on this forum, the fuel pump prime trick. All good since then.

But until then, ran battery down numerous times, and had to remove to charge due to electric location. So one trick i've seen for the HVAC reset has been inadvertently performed a number of times.

Now car starts on a regular basis but HVAC is dead, dead, dead. No on, no fan not heat, lights, air, nuthin'.

Any suggestions, cuz I'm stumped.

Jim Sorenson
1994 Buick RMW
"Murder Wagon"
Raymond, WA

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 8:53 am

Fuse?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2019 2:09 am

Okay, it always happens this way. You write a post describing everything that's wrong, and the next day, you notice different symptoms.

HVAC...there's a fan blowing. Low setting, only through dash vents.Heat's on a fairly high setting. Still no visual, and no response from any of the controls.

???????
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2019 8:49 am

If you have a JY nearby, and can locate an HVAC unit, swap them out. It is the cheapest way to find out if the unit is what is wrong. There is not much to the system other than the control unit, that could break and cause all of the issues you have. If you can not find one, I have one on hand. I do not know where you are for shipping. You should put it in your signature.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 11:03 pm

Fred,

Took your advice. Added city and state.

Also checked the local Pick and Pull yards. And for once, the two closest yards had 1994 RMW's. One each in Tumwater and Tacoma. So since the guy down the hall was practicing his flute, I made the ninety mile round trip to Tumwater. to find a light metallic blue RMW with light blue leather, LT1.

That gravel sucks with a wheelchair, though.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 10:46 am

Back to this issue...no power at all to the hvac box in the dash. It's dark. No lights or switches working. I did replace the unit with a wrecking yard pull, which made no difference. The fuse in the dash end is good, but there are 32 connectors in the back of the hvac unit, which one goes where? Are there relays that can go out somewheres?
Thanks for looking.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 11:10 am

I am not familiar with the 94-96 units. You should get an FSM. I use mine all of the time when trying to troubleshoot my cars. The FSM has troubleshooting procedures in it. Check the fuse block for power at the hot side of the fuse. Make sure you check the fuse for the head unit, not the fan.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 10:55 pm

Fred,

Have the FSM. Dang difficult to locate things as they're in 3 different books. That said, managed to get HVAC working. While replacing fuel pump relay, appeared that the AC relay was moved to fuel pump location, replaced in proper spot, bingo.
Now, about that 18 pounds of fuel pressure...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 6:38 am

Did you check for fuel in the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line? Have you used the fuel pump override connector to check the pressure when the car is not running?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HVAC controls worked until they didn't...   HVAC controls worked until they didn't... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HVAC controls worked until they didn't...
Page 1 of 1