GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JMcFly

Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Empty
PostSubject: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 8:58 pm

I stumbled upon a thread somewhere about 3D printing the plastic hinge parts for the hatch glass and thought about getting a set machined out of metal for my car since I have a friend with a niche production machine shop.

I'm not materials scientist but metal hinge plate things would work, I'm not going to explode my hatch glass am I?
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 6:18 am

"I'm not going to explode my hatch glass am I?"

Depends how you mount them. You can't have metal-to-glass contact on a moving tempered glass part. The metal will wear a notch into the glass which will "unlock" the tempered sheet and cause it to disintegrate.
Back to top Go down
JMcFly

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 am

That’s what I was worried about. I’ll have to make a rubber gasket I guess. Or go with 3D printing a pair out of ASA filament
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 9:05 am

If I remember correctly, those hinges that you are referring to, did not work out.

The member that had them done, "brokecello", will be at the WF in Daytona. He'll be able to tell you all about them.

Tom
Back to top Go down
JMcFly

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 9:10 am

I can see how printed they wouldn’t work. I’m down to experiment

I’ll have to talk to my machinist friend and see what can be done material wise
Back to top Go down
JMcFly

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 10:43 am

Going to machine a set out of black Delrin and add helicoils in for the threads.

Just need to find a broken set for him to work off of.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 am

The helicoils will not be any better than the plain Delrin. The original ones have what appears to be a keyed insert, like a blind nut for wood. There is a nylon "washer" under the original hinge on the glass. They are also side specific.

You might do well with a two piece, or hinged flap part. A base with a bolt through it, and a clamshell part to clip over the bolt end.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 6:50 pm

use nylon bolts to hold the hinge on you make. You can tap the plastic for threads.
How come you have no hinges?
One of my wagons, needed a new metal hinge pin, made one from a nail.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?   Wagon Glass Hinge Plates? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagon Glass Hinge Plates?
Page 1 of 1